Having trouble losing fat?
- Timing of carbohydrate ingestion. // IDEA Personal Trainer;Feb97, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p10
Compares the effect of carbohydrate ingestion throughout a bout of endurance exercise with ingestion in the later stages, according to a study published in the periodical `Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.' Effect of carbohydrate supplements on an athlete's performance; Highlights of the...
- A simple guide to complex carbohydrates. Blumenthal, D. // FDA Consumer;Apr89, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p13
Discusses complex carbohydrates which are becoming the chosen food for health-conscious diners in the 1980s. Complex carbohydrates are a good source of starch and fiber, proven to be important elements for a healthy diet; Benefits; Potato consumption. INSET: Some good sources of starch and fiber..
- Are carbs the culprit? // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Jul95, Vol. 56 Issue 7, p34
Explains how overindulgence in foods rich in carbohydrates can cause bodyfats. Conversion of carbohydrates to muscle and liver glycogen; Storage and conversion of excess sugars as fats; Effects of adequate carbohydrates on performance.
- Those amazing grains. Jacobs, Carole // Shape;Jun93, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p66
Discusses the importance of food rich in complex carbohydrates. Grains and breads; Fiber. INSET: How to get more grains..
- On the health edge. Gittleman, Ann Louise // American Fitness;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p11
Explains why too many carbohydrates induced weight gain, fatigue and blood sugar abnormalities. Carbohydrate craze; Mixed results from Pritikin-style diet centers; Explanation provided by Barry Sears, former research scientist with Boston University School of Medicine and the Massachusetts...
- The low blood sugar blues. Podell, R.; Fischer, A. // Redbook;Mar89, Vol. 172 Issue 5, p100
Mood swings and weariness can be symptoms of low blood sugar. How the body treats sugar; Insulin; Distinction from hypoglycemia; How to handle the problem. INSET: A diet than can help..
- Carbo-charged. Dobbins, Bill // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Jan93, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p144
Discusses the importance of carbohydrates in bodybuilders' diets. Carbohydrates as fuel for exercise; Three macronutrients for fuel; Three main factors that affect fuel utilization during exercise; Simple versus complex carbohydrates; Insulin; Glycemic index; Determining how much carbohydrate...
- Carbs? No thanks! Hartglass, Craig // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Nov93, Vol. 54 Issue 11, p80
Discusses the changes in nutrition advice during the last five years. The Carbohydrate Era; Training as counterproductive to growth; Gary Strydom's method; Guru fever; Concept of force-feeding; Effects of controlling carbohydrate intake.
- Simple & complex. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Oct94, Vol. 55 Issue 10, p39
Compares complex and simple carbohydrates. Definition of carbohydrates; Foods rich in complex and simple carbohydrates.