Agricultural workers in World War II: The reserve army of children, Black Americans, and Jamaicans
- Child Farm Laborers. Aung Zaw Win // American Journal of Public Health;Jul2015, Vol. 105 Issue 7, p1312
The article discusses the U.S. sociologist and photographer Lewis Wickes Hine, and his use of photography to expose the evils of child labor in the twentieth century. Topics include the use of art as a tool for social reform by U.S. artists, writers, and journalists in the twentieth century, the...
- THE UNEMPLOYED AND THE LAND. Marsh, Jan // History Today;Apr82, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p16
Looks at the farm colonies established by the British government to encourage those unemployed in cities to return to agricultural works. Details of the farm colony that was established by the Home Colonization Society; Aim of the Salvation Army land colony in Essex, England; Failure of Laindon...
- FARM LABOUR IN SCOTLAND 1800-1850. Houston, George // Bulletin -- Society for the Study of Labour History;Autumn65, Issue 11, p10
Provides an overview of farm labor in Scotland from 1800 to 1850. Conditions before 1800; Demand for and supply of labor; Price changes within the labor market; Institutional influences on the labor market; Early attempts to form trade unions.
- Discussion on George Houston's Paper. // Bulletin -- Society for the Study of Labour History;Autumn65, Issue 11, p12
Focuses on topics of discussions on George Houston's paper 'Farm Labour in Scotland 1800-1850,' published in the September 1965 issue of the 'Bulletin for the Society of the Study of Labour History.' Effect of Irish immigration on the conditions of Scottish farm workers; Sectarian bitterness...
- `Regular farm girl': The Women's Land Army in World War II. Carpenter, Stephanie Ann // Agricultural History;Spring97, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p162
Discusses the formation of the Women's Land Army (WLA) to provide American farmers with essential labor during World War II. National programs by the federal government to reach communities; Initial participation from the coastal regions; Response of women to the call for agricultural labor.
- Abstracts. Wright, Merridy // Youth Studies Australia;Spring1994, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p60
Presents an abstract of the paper `Understanding change in youth labour markets: A conceptual framework,' by David Ashton. Indication of the direction in which youth labour markets are moving in the 1990s; Identification of a number of forces of change operating on the labour markets; Role of...
- Young children. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham T. // Christian Science Monitor;11/16/95, Vol. 87 Issue 247, p2
Informs about the child labor around the world as surveyed by the US Labor Department.
- Observe the Season of Conscience against child labor. // Network News;Summer98, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p25
Focuses on the observance of the 1998 Holiday Season of Conscience against child labor. Activities; Materials; Contact information.
- Lost childhood. // Current Events;9/02/96, Vol. 96 Issue 1, p2a
Focuses on the social and economic conditions of child laborers worldwide. Child labor conditions in third world countries; Estimated number of child laborers worldwide; Involvement of Kathie Lee Gifford; Legislation in the United States aimed at curbing child labor; Encouragement to end the...