Study backs less formal kindergarten
- Math for tots. // Essence (Essence);Aug88, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p92
Parents who speak to their children in mathematical language (over, under, ounce, circle) can increase the children's mathematics scores.
- Town of Islip accepting pre-school registrations. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);09/14/98, Vol. 45 Issue 37, p4C
Reports that the Town of Islip Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs in Long Island, New York has begun accepting applications for its preschool programs at the Ronkonkoma recreation center. Schedule.
- Making baby smarter. Finn, C.A. // Single Parent;Jan/Feb88, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p18
Discusses the current trend toward parents pushing young children to succeed and the effect of such pressures on children. Role of preschool; Need for play.
- Early-years initiatives get lawmakers' attention. Jacobson, Linda // Education Week;06/18/97, Vol. 16 Issue 38, p12
Reports on the support provided by several states to educational programs for school children in the United States. Includes Connecticut legislature's approval of a $50 million plan to make school readiness programs available to preschoolers; Proposed expansion of Smart Start, a public-private...
- Preschool images from Korea. French, Lucia // Education Week;6/7/95, Vol. 14 Issue 37, p33
Opinion. Comments on the methods used in preschool education in South Korea. Lack of emphasis on language skills; Skills where South Korean children excel; Structure of preschool classes.
- Public school counseling services for prekindergarten children. Hohenshil, Thomas H.; Brown, Michael B. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Oct91, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p4
Focuses on public school counseling services for prekindergarten children in the United States. Need for child care outside the family; Benefits of prekindergarten education; Definition of high-quality care ad education; Elementary school principals' standards; Implications for elementary...
- `Curriculum' for preschool. Sava, S.G. // Education Digest;Mar1989, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p51
Discusses the importance of a developmental program in preschool rather than an academic curriculum.
- Issues on four-year-olds and public schooling. Lubeck, S. // Education Digest;Oct89, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p21
Discusses issues concerning the policy option of public schooling for four-year-olds. Traditional preschool; Academic preschool; Public versus private responsibility; Funding.
- The courage to teach... Raymond, Allen // Teaching Pre K-8;Sep96, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p2
Focuses on teaching preschool children. Books on courage; Consistency concerns.