Saving the leatherneck turtle
- Scouts protect sea turtles. Wolkerstorfer, T. // Boys' Life;Aug90, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p6
Reports on recent efforts by Boy Scouts in Minnesota and Costa Rica to protect sea turtles from poachers. Description of the sea turtle; How turtles are harmed; The rescue efforts; The results of the rescue program.
- Shrimpers and lawmakers collide over a move to save the sea turtles. Rudloe, J.; Rudloe, A. // Smithsonian;Dec89, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p44
Account of the bitter fight between fishermen and the United States government over the requirement that fishermen use Turtle Excluder Devices, (TEDs), to keep sea turtles from drowning in their nets. Endangered sea turtles are symbols of environmental conflict; Economics of shrimping;...
- Sea turtle conservation in commercial fisheries. // U.S. Department of State Dispatch;5/6/91, Vol. 2 Issue 18, p338
Presents a statement by Margaret Tutwiler, Department Spokesman, May 1991, concerning Department of State certification of 13 countries in the Caribbean region that have taken initial steps to protect sea turtles from capture and drowning in shrimp fishing operations. Certification valid for...
- Sea turtles. // National Geographic World;Oct91, Issue 194, p8
Discusses the dangers faced by sea turtles, forcing them to struggle to survive. Effects of building, pollution, hunting and fishing; Scientists efforts to preserve nesting grounds; Laws to protect sea turtles. INSET: Sea turtle portraits..
- Adopt a turtle.... // Science Teacher;May94, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p58
Invites people to adopt a turtle for $35 from the Sea Turtle Survival League, which is committed to save sea turtles from extinction. Benefits of people who adopt a turtle; Contact information.
- TURTLE WATCHERS. Pitenis, Jimmy // Junior Scholastic;4/16/2007, Vol. 109 Issue 16, p8
The article focuses on the efforts made by the Volusia Sea Turtle Society to save turtles on the beaches of Volusia County, Florida and its invitation to join the society as volunteers.
- To help save their lives, Florida's John Fletemeyer steers baby turtles away from bright lights... // People;11/5/90, Vol. 34 Issue 18, p131
Discusses the efforts of anthropology professor John Fletemeyer, 31, to save Florida's sea turtles from poachers and human hazards to their health.
- Sea turtles of Bahia. // Earthwatch: The Journal of Earthwatch Institute;May/Jun95, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p42
Describes the Earthwatch project about sea turtle conservation led by Maria Angela Guagni dei Marcovaldi which will take place in Sitio do Conde and Arembepe, Bahia, Brazil. Activities; Field conditions; Costs.
- Costa Rican sea turtles. // Earthwatch: The Journal of Earthwatch Institute;May/Jun95, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p42
Describes the Earthwatch project about sea turtle conservation led by Frank Paladino and James Spotila which will take place in the Guanacaste coast, Costa Rica. Activities; Field conditions; Costs.
- Caribbean sea turtles. // Earthwatch: The Journal of Earthwatch Institute;May/Jun95, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p42
Describes the Earthwatch project about sea turtle conservation led by William McLarney and Didiher Chacon which will take place in the Gandoca/Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica. Activities; Field conditions; Costs.