Muscovies: Ducks of a different breed
- A few ducks for the beauty of it. Damerow, G.; McLeod, P. // Country Journal;Dec90, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p42
Reports on ornamental ducks which people raise purely for their beauty, although they can be used for meat or eggs. Five types; What you should know before you buy one; Their advantages over larger domestic breeds. INSET: Supplies.;Sources..
- Danger to ducks. // Field & Stream;Nov84, Vol. 88 Issue 11, p3
Editorial. Ducks and waterfowl are in trouble. The current population of ducks in North America is well below what it was 5 years ago. The drought in the Canadian prairie breeding grounds, compounded by cleaner farming methods that destroy nesting habitat, is primarily responsible. The U.S....
- Annual Duck Race gets quacking. // New Hampshire Business Review;7/7/95, Vol. 17 Issue 14, p4A
Announces the Granite State Duck Race in Nashua, New Hampshire on July 30, 1995. Competition of rubber ducks; Sponsorship of the event; Awards to be given; Contact information.
- Name that transient. Benton, Allen H. // Conservationist;1994, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p40
Describes a small blue-billed duck that appeared in November 1993 in Dunkirk Harbor, New York that baffled local bird watchers. Identification of the bird by ornithologist Robert Sundell of Jamestown, New York.
- Chart it! Lucky ducks. // Science World;1/13/95, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p5
Presents a graph depicting the changes in the population of wild ducks in the United States. Trends toward increasing population; Factors affecting the increase in population; Restoration of the duck's habitat; Effects of increased precipitation.
- American classics. // Mother Earth News;Mar/Apr89, Issue 116, p56
An illustrated guide to ducks and geese suited for American farming.
- Clutch sizes of ducks in the south-western Cape. Heyl, C.W. // South African Journal of Wildlife Research;Jun94, Vol. 24 Issue 1/2, p6
Presents clutch-size data for 13 duck species collected by Cape Nature Conservation in South Africa over a period of more than two decades. Mean clutch sizes of the Cape teal Anas capensis and Cape shoveller A. smithii for the breeding season; Observed variability; Variation of clutch sizes...
- Ducks. Damerow, Gail // Country Journal;May/Jun94, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p42
Provides tips in raising ducks. Acquisition of day-old ducklings; Shelter needed by ducks; Importance of clean, fresh drinking water; Feeding requirements of ducks; Breeds of ducks; Benefits of raising ducks; Manner and season of egg laying; List of books for reference.
- Alberta's waterfowl revival. Carter, Toni Owen // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;8/23/93, Vol. 20 Issue 36, p21
Cites figures from Ducks Unlimited provincial biologist Gary Stewart on increases in overall duck populations, estimated at ten percent this year. How combinations of farming and drought have dropped nest survival rate to ten percent in some species and reduced populations by as much as 85...
- A not-so-modest proposal. Reiger, George // Field & Stream;Jun97, Vol. 102 Issue 2, p28
Suggests the use of tags to restore and maintain high levels of wild duck populations in the United States. Debate over the proposed Migratory Bird Treaty Reform Act; Fish and Wildlife Service's theory of `compensatory mortality' on wild duck populations; Example of the self-policing virtues of...