Suppositions, presuppositions, and ontology
- The state of the art in ontology design. Noy, Natalya Fridman; Hafner, Carole D. // AI Magazine;Fall97, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p53
Presents information on a study which seeked to develop a framework for comparing various projects in ontology design and placing a number of prominent ontologies in the framework. Description of the comparison framework; Information on the characteristics which describes the content of an...
- Ontological engineering. Farquhar, Adam; Gruninger, Michael // AI Magazine;Fall97, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p83
Focuses on the practices in engineering ontologies. Information on related experiences in developing and using ontologies; Details on the uses of ontologies; Description of the increased importance of merging ontologies and the existing problems of translating between ontologies; Information on...
- Can the Eleatic Principle be Justified? Colyvan, Mark // Canadian Journal of Philosophy;Sep98, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p313
Focuses on the Eleatic Principle or causal criterion, which is a test that must be passed by entities in order to gain admission to philosophers ontology. Why the idea of such a test is important in modern ontology; Support of the test by David Armstrong, Brian Ellis and Hartry Field;...
- Outline of an Uexk�llian bio-ontology. Tonnessen, Morten // Sign Systems Studies;2001, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p683
Traditionally, ontology, or at least western ontology, has been an anthropocentric enterprise, that takes only human experiences into account. In this paper I argue that a prolific biocentric ontology can be based on Uexk�ll's Umwelt theory. Uexk�ll offers the basis of an ontology according...
- Toward Pragmatic Poetics: The Convergence of Form, Act, and Ontology in Hopkins' 'The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo'. Davidson, Andrew Sean // Victorian Poetry;Summer2002, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p189
Focuses on the convergence of form, act and ontology in Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem 'The Laden Echo and the Golden Echo in Victoria. Perversion of human feelings and exaggerated Marianism; Theme of the poem.
- Polymorphic Medical Ontologies: Fashioning Concepts of Disease. Cherry, Mark J. // Journal of Medicine & Philosophy;Oct2000, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p519
Focuses on polymorphic medical ontologies. Concepts of diseases; Political construction of health care policy; Gradation between the normal and pathological.
- Corrections. // Journal of Spirituality & Paranormal Studies;Oct2006, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p238
A correction to the article "A New Ontology," that was published in the July 2006 issue is presented.
- Coincident Objects: Could a �Stuff Ontology� Help? Zimmerman, Dean W. // Analysis;Jan1997, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p19
Focuses on the nature of indefinite mass expressions. Location of ontological category between plurality and individual physical object; Spatial coincidence of physical objects; Involvement of the homeomerous stuff in question to the intermediate category.
- PHILOSOPHICAL PERSPECTIVES IN MACROMARKETING: ASSUMPTIONS AND ISSUES. Shea, Linda; Punj, Girish // AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings;1988, p447
Focuses on the philosophical perspectives in macromarketing. Identification of questions on macromarketing; Examination of ontological assumptions of the questions; Presentation of arguments favoring a relativist perspective.