Legislation clamps entitlement of immigrant workers
- Give me your huddled masses...er, geniuses. Van Slambrouck, Paul // Christian Science Monitor;8/27/99, Vol. 91 Issue 191, p3
Focuses on how the limitations put on importing high-tech labor may be damaging United States businesses causing some companies in Silicon Valley to call for changes in the law.
- Polish govt backs flexible residence permits for foreigners. // Regional Today;06/20/2013, p3
The article reports that Poland's coalition government has approved draft legislation for more flexible residence and work permits for foreigners hoping to extend their stay in the country, including an increase in the maximum duration for a temporary residence permit from two to three years.
- New US guestworker rules proposed. // Hot Calaloo;May2011, p12
The article reports that the U.S. National Guestworker Alliance has proposed regulations that would ensure the workers in the country will not face retaliation for organizing unions and workers' centers.
- CORRECTION. // Hill;7/17/2007, Vol. 14 Issue 86, p3
A correction to the article regarding a bill that can increase H-1B visas for foreign workers that was published in the July 11, 2007 issue is presented.
- House bill raises cap on high-tech visas. Fitting, Beth // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;10/26/98, Vol. 12 Issue 22, p1
Reports on the United States House of Representatives' passage of a bill that raises the cap on visas that allow foreign professionals to work in the United States. Number of highly skilled jobs in the computer industry that are unfilled nationwide; Provisions of the bill; Layoff protection for...
- Your Rights as a Foreign Worker. // Filipino Post;3/4/2010, p7
The article provides an overview to some laws for foreign workers in British Columbia (BC), which states that the employers must pay them in Canadian dollars through money order, cheque, or directly depositing the wage into their bank account, employees are not charged for any help they receive...
- INS fine reveals risks involved with document blunders. Prewitt, Milford // Nation's Restaurant News;03/08/99, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p4
Focuses on the arrest of immigrant cooks at Red Hot & Blue restaurant owned by Bob Friedman regarding expired work permit. Risks involved in the work permits of immigrant employees; Sanction mandated by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service; Comment from Friedman.
- Senate rejects required U.S. worker recruitment. // Human Events;06/19/98, Vol. 54 Issue 23, p23
Comments on the decision by the United States Senate not to pass an amendment that would require US employers to show that they made attempts to hire an American worker before sponsoring a foreign employee under and H1-B visa. Comments from Senator Edward Kennedy, sponsor of the amendment;...
- New H-2A agriculture guest worker reform proposed. // American Nurseryman;8/15/2001, Vol. 194 Issue 4, p16
Reports on United States Senator Larry Craig's proposal of legislation that seeks to reform the existing H-2A guest worker program. Comparison of the proposed bill to the Smith-Graham H-2A Guest Worker Compromise bill; Conflict over the earned status of adjustment for undocumented workers...