Create a civil service that is accountable and skilled
- Government employment. // Economic Trends (07482922);Oct95, p12
Reports on trends in government employment in the United States. 1993 data for employment by industry; Total government employment from 1983 to 1993; Government employment shares; Relative earnings of government workers from 1983 to 1993.
- Public versus private. Duvoli, John // Hudson Valley Business Journal;2/7/94 - 2/14/94, Vol. 5 Issue 47, p4
Editorial. Focuses on public agencies' reduction of employees. New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's announcement of 16,000 job cuts and idea of privatizing many city services.
- Working for US in the 1990s. Green, Kathleen // Occupational Outlook Quarterly;Summer93, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p2
Focuses on various aspects of employment with the United States government in the 1990s. The government as the nation's single largest employer; The Pendleton Act; The Office of Personnel Management (OPM); Administrative Careers with America (ACWA); Vacancy announcements and job listings;...
- The quick guide to occupations in Administrative Careers with America. // Occupational Outlook Quarterly;Summer93, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p18
Offers a brief rundown of the qualifications required to enter occupations under the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Administrative Careers With America Program. Agency; Educational requirements; Number of people working within the occupation as of September 30, 1991; General Schedule...
- Twenty occupations for which the largest number of college graduates were hired by the federal... // Occupational Outlook Quarterly;Summer93, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p40
Depicts the twenty occupations for which the largest number of college graduates were hired by the federal government, fiscal year 1992. Occupation and GS series number; Computer specialists; General attorneys; Nurses; Miscellaneous administrators and analysts; More.
- Public sector performance appraisal effectiveness: A case study. Longenecker, Clinton O.; Nykodym, Nick // Public Personnel Management;Summer96, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p151
Investigates how effective are formal performance appraisals in public sector organizations. Functions served by the formal appraisal process; Perspectives of managers and subordinates on improving public sector performance appraisal effectiveness; Proposals on how public sector organizations...
- Gender and the federal Senior Executive Service: Where is the glass ceiling? Mani, Bonnie G. // Public Personnel Management;Winter97, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p545
Explains the disparity of treatment between male and female Senior Executive Service (SES) members and develop strategies for facilitating women's upward mobility in the United States. Factors which facilitated or impeded the success of federal executives; Similarities and differences between...
- Working for the government is cool. Cook, Gareth // Washington Monthly;Nov95, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p38
Focuses on civil servants in the United States. View of civil servants as bureaucrats; Job titles in government; Alan Pollock's work as director of the Texas Office of the State Comptroller; Jerry Giorgio's detective work; Joe Hoffman's work as subway director; Impact of the intervention of...
- Who guards the quardians? Wilner, Frank N. // Regulation;1996, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p16
Expresses loathing for the inefficiency of the American civil service. Low level of trust accorded to civil service personnel; Cumbersome federal procurement process; Slowness of the judiciary; Recommended solution.