The moral effects of education
Tags: MORAL education
- Research foundations of moral and ethical education. Swanson, Richard L. // Education;Winter95, Vol. 116 Issue 2, p296
Focuses on the research foundations of moral and ethical education. Moral development research; Moral content and internalization; Types of power assertion; Non-power assertion techniques; Social-learning; Calculus of moral thought; Disequilibrium; Stage mixture; Stage changes.
- Moral education in America: 1600s-1800s. Laud, Leslie E. // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p1
Focuses on moral education in the United States from colonial times through the late nineteenth century. Analysis of laws, school rules and teaching methods; Curricular materials; Views of prominent thinkers on the inculcation of morality; Use of harsh methods to inculcate character in the...
- Whither goes character education? Objectives, pedagogy, and research in education programs. Leming, James S. // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p11
Focuses on representative contemporary character education programs. Diversity of programs; Theoretical assumptions; Pedagogical practices; Approaches to moral education; Character education curricula; Evaluation of data on the curriculum; Reduction in problem behavior of students.
- The missing link's missing link. Ryan, Kevin // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p81
Calls for the restoration of character education in the public schools and the preparation of character educators. Suggestions about ways in which teacher education programs can prepare teachers for their work as character educators; Educational reform issues; Education achievement and...
- Should values be taught in schools. Champion, Bryan L. // Journal of Religious Thought;Winter90/Spring91, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p64
Inquires on whether or not values should be taught in schools. Horace Mann's views on moral education; Supreme Court decisions on moral education; Present agencies for value education.
- Virtue should be seen, not just heard. Etzioni, Amitai // Education Week;5/29/96, Vol. 15 Issue 36, p40
Opinion. Discusses the importance of teaching values in American public schools. Concerns on the moral state of the country and the character of the young; Controversies on how to and who will impart moral education; Concerns of the religious right on the promotion of secularism and relativism...
- Creating community consensus on core values. Wagner, Tony // Education Week;10/09/96, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p36
Opinion. Ponders on ways to improve the climate for values or character education. Holding of communitywide conversations; Ways to distinguish values and beliefs; Focus on citizenship.
- Is character education hopeless? Ryan, Kevin; Kilpatrick, Willian // American Enterprise;Sept/Oct96, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p19
No abstract available.
- How not to teach values. Kohn, Alfie // Phi Delta Kappan;Feb97, Vol. 78 Issue 6, p428
Discusses the promotion of social and moral development of children. The two meanings of the phrase character education; The level at which problems are addressed; The view of human nature; The ultimate goal; The values that should be taught; The theory of learning.
- Education and character: A conservative view. Doyle, Denis P. // Phi Delta Kappan;Feb97, Vol. 78 Issue 6, p440
Discusses character education. Good character education being made up of three elements, example, study and practice; Distinction between education and training; Life being about moral choices; Why we cannot live without values; How values are the embodiment of choices; Details of a...