Tags: SOLAR activity
- Radiation storm signals next solar cycle. // New Scientist;8/03/96, Vol. 151 Issue 2041, p13
Reports on the cycle of solar activity in the Sun signaled by ultraviolet radiation caused by a sudden release of magnetic energy. Effects of high levels of UV radiation; Image of the Sun taken by the Extreme Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope.
- Solar flares: They're back. // Electrical World;Apr98, Vol. 212 Issue 4, p6
Reports that the multi-year increase in solar activity is expected to reach its peak in the year 2000. Cycle which solar flares go through; How these flares affect the Earth's magnetic field.
- TALKING PICTURES. // World Watch;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p22
Photographs of several energy sources are presented including the coronal mass ejection blasts of the Sun, its active region and its coronal magnetic field.
- Solar-activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Aug94, Vol. 88 Issue 2, p106
Presents an update of solar activity in May 1994. Cycle 22's trend of shorter periods; Solar corona; Sunspot numbers.
- Solar-activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Sep94, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p103
Provides information on solar activity in the month of June 1994. Modest signs of revival; X-ray images for one complete rotation.; Sunspot numbers.
- Solar activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Nov94, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p103
Gives an update of solar activity for August 1994. Major flares; Active region 7765; Appearance of a new region, AR 7773, on the east limb of the Sun on August 29; X-ray images.
- Solar activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Feb95, Vol. 89 Issue 2, p108
Reports on the decreased activity of the Sun in November 1994. Handful of minor flares; Decay in size and intensity of the corona; Production of small-scale eruptions in the form of X-ray brightpoint flares and high-velocity coronal jets.
- Solar activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Mar95, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p110
Reports on the increase of solar activity in December 1994. Flares; Sunspot numbers; Interaction of regions.
- Solar activity update. // Sky & Telescope;Jul95, Vol. 90 Issue 1, p102
Presents information on solar activities and events observed for the month of April, 1995. Eruptions and major flares in the latter part of April; Activities in the Sun's NOAA Active Region 7863; Sunspot numbers derived from observatories. INSET: Sunspot numbers..
- It came from the sun. Svitil, Kathy A. // Discover;Jun97, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p36
Focuses on satellite data of how a magnetic cloud interacts with Earth's magnetic field. Magnetic disturbances on the sun; Speed per hour; Collision with the Earth's magnetic field; Knocking out Telstar 401 satellite.