The changing face of cellular phones
- The Great 3G Phone Debate. Fyffe, Steven // Electronic News (10616624);05/28/2001, Vol. 47 Issue 22, p28
Discusses whether third generation (3G) wireless networks can re-invigorate cellular phone sales and trigger a buying spree in digital signal processors. Reasons for the delay in the general roll-out of 3G technologies; Challenges facing 3G technology in the United States; Features of a...
- `Beam me up a solution, Scotty'. Shtrom, Victor // Communications News;Apr98, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p32
Describes how adaptive beamforming technology eliminates interference for cellular telephone carriers and customers. Cost-effective ways of improving the quality of cellular call signals; Carrier-to-interference (C/I) ratio as the standard measurement of quality used by cellular service...
- DSPs for next-generation cell phones BALANCE performance and power. Bassak, Gil // EDN;11/23/2000, Vol. 45 Issue 24, p105
Discusses the development of digital signal processors (DSP) for use in next-generation cellular phones. Chip designs; Most pressing DSP specifications needed to meet 2.5 and 3G requirements; Software development; Efforts to DSP vendors to address the needs of cell-phone designers. INSET: 3G...
- The future of personal computing. Hillman, Garth; Fisher, Leslie // Electronic Design;11/22/93, Vol. 41 Issue 24, p107
Reports on trends in developing signal processing technology (DSP) for personal computers. Traditional application of DSP in communications; Simplification of DSP functions; Results on the combination of DSP with communications capabilities.
- DSP dazzle. J.P.; O'Malley, Chris // Popular Science;Jun94, Vol. 244 Issue 6, p49
States that the filtering finesse of digital signal processors, or DSPs, have already improved the sound quality of telephones and stereos. Now, DSPs are poised to do the same for multimedia PCs--and the latest DSP chips can handle video too. Details on Texas Instruments' new Multimedia Video...
- Bringing cell coverage inside. Scheinert, Stefan // Network World;1/29/2007, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p17
The article features pico and femto cell devices to ensure in-building cellular coverage inside the large office buildings and corporate campuses. They enable in-building cellular deployment in smaller sites and an optimum deployment in midsize facilities by their integrated pico...
- More Compute Power for Infrastructure. Baron, Max // Electronic News (10616624);6/10/2002, Vol. 48 Issue 24, p10
Deals with the demand for computing performance in infrastructure. Advances in cellular connectivity; Efforts to support computer performance; Usage of digital signal processing.
- Design reuse in today's DSP design methodology. Svoboda, Steve // Electronic Design;7/08/96, Vol. 44 Issue 14, p101
Part I. Demonstrates electronic system design reuse techniques in digital signal processing. Modulation-coding; Reduction of power consumption in cellular phones; Limitations; Cellular phone design.
- Smartphones on the Horizon. Ostler, Randy // Wireless Design & Development;Apr2000, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p45
Forecasts technological improvements for cellular telephones brought by advancements in digital signal processing in the 21st century. Applications and functions of next-generation telephones similar to that of personal digital assistants (PDA); Incorporation of entertainment applications such...