- The economics of regulating deception. Rubin, Paul H. // CATO Journal;Winter91, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p667
Discusses pertinent issues concerning the economics of information for the regulation of deceptive advertising. Concept of deception; Major policy conclusions on regulating deception; Examination of advertising prices, regulation and types of goods; Regulation of true information about...
- Caveat emptor: let the buyer beware. Kreiter, M. // Current Health 2;Apr88, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p11
Warns against advertisements, including television commercials, which promote remedies for weight-loss, cold relief, etc. by making outlandish claims of success. How advertisers target customers; How words can be twisted to make false statements.
- Buyer beware. // Current Health 1;Feb95, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p12
Discusses some measures on how consumers can discern misleading health products advertisements. Objectives of advertisements; Health fraud committed by diet products; Nutritional facts; Words that misled; Ways to check out a company or a product. INSET: Checking it out..
- Magazine telephone scams. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Mar1989, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p36
Describes deceptive techniques of telephone magazine salespeople. How to handle calls; Information to request; Help for the victimized.
- Car ads: Low-interest loans and other offers. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jun89, Vol. 72 Issue 6, p16
Tells how to evaluate special financing and promotional packages offered as incentives by new car dealers. Questions to ask; All aspects of a financing plan.
- A "New and Improved" View of Puffery. Richards, Jef I. // Journal of Public Policy & Marketing;1990, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p73
Examines puffery as a form of deceptive advertising. References to related studies; Definition of puffery; Discussion of issues.
- When bad ads happen to (mostly) good foods. Liebman, Bonnie // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Apr93, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p8
Exposes deceptive advertisements of several food products. Quaker Chewy Granola Bars; Lender's bagels; Post's Grape-nuts; Hillshire Farm's Lite sausage; Simply Jif peanut butter; Amazing Fruit; Florida orange juice;.
- Communication strategies to counter deceptive advertising. Lord, Kenneth R.; Kim, Chung K.; Putrevu, Sanjay // Review of Business;Spring97, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p24
Reports on the results of two studies that explore the factors that moderate consumer susceptibility to deceptive advertising, and strategies that aid in preventing business environments from being deceived by false and misleading claims. Information on three variables which shape the style of...
- They can't say that, can they? Lans, Maxine S. // Marketing News;10/11/93, Vol. 27 Issue 21, p9
Discusses laws on competitors' false advertisements against a company's product or prices. Application of Lanham Trademark Act; Elements for winning a claim; Proof on misleading of consumers; Definition of deception material; Consultation of attorney; Contact information.
- Time to end this food fraud. H.D. // Food Manufacture;May96, Vol. 71 Issue 5, p3
Opinion. Comments on false advertising in the food industry. False claims about contents and nutritious value; Need for legislation on advertising.