Kalkar nuclear plant will be dismantled
- World's oldest operating nuclear power station closes down. // Click Green Newsletter;3/2/2012, Issue 10, p4
The article provides information on the closure of the oldest operating nuclear power plant Oldbury, near Bristol, England.
- Waste management is U.K. plant's new mission as it shuts down. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;06/22/98, Vol. 240 Issue 25, p14
Reports that the United Kingdom government's halt of commercial fuel reprocessing at the Dounreay nuclear plant in Scotland will switch its focus entirely to decommissioning and waste management. Estimated cost of retrieving and storing 700 cubic meters of underground radioactive wastes;...
- Decommissioning calls for meticulous advance planning. Strauss, Sheldon D. // Power;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 140 Issue 9, p47
Provides information relevant to nuclear power plants when planning to decommission. US Nuclear Regulatory Commission's alternatives and technology requirements; Factors affecting a nuclear plant owner to decommission; Process involved in decommissioning. INSET: Dismantling/decommissioning--a...
- TVA invests for decommissioning. Chambers, Ann // Power Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 100 Issue 8, p15
Reports on the decommissioning of the nuclear power plants in Tennessee Valley, Texas. Tennessee Valley Authority's investment of $400 million into trust funds to ensure decommissioning of the nuclear plants; Projected investment rate of return.
- The cost of shutting down. Fertel, Marvin S. // Electric Perspectives;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p42
Discusses the estimated cost for decommissioning a power plant. Three main developments; Defining `decommissioning'; Questions on financial responsibility for spent fuels when plants shut down; Events which created uncertainty about the industry's ability to make acceptable, accurate estimates;...
- The view from Wall Street. Abramson, Barry M. // Electric Perspectives;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p46
Discusses the financial aspect of nuclear decommissioning. Difficulty in defining financial risks associated with decommission; Reasons; Considerations by the financial community; Premature retirement as major risk regarding decommissioning; Retirement attached to rising operating and...
- Adequacy of Funds for Nuclear Plant Decommissioning. Williams, Daniel G. // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p29
Evaluates the adequacy of funds for nuclear plant decommissioning in the U.S. Accounts on the potential costs for electric utilities; Use of spreadsheet simulation models; Generic formula for estimating decommissioning costs.
- Safe, Efficient and Cost-effective Decommissioning. Pescatore, Claudio; Eng, Torsten // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p39
Focuses on the Nuclear Energy Agency workshop on "Safe, Efficient and Cost-effective Decommissioning," conducted by Claudio Pescatore in Rome Italy. Aim of the session to develop a vision of what should be done next on integrating international activities on decommissioning; Activities centered...
- ComEd payoff plan heading for review. Daniels, Steve // Crain's Chicago Business;11/13/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 47, p61
Focuses on the proposal of the Commonwealth Edison Co. to raise rates on decommissioning the cost of cleaning nuclear power plants in Illinois. Prohibition of the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) on raising rates; Predictions on the action of the ICC regarding the plan; Reluctance of the firm...