Nuclear SX: Swords = plowshares
- Think Tanks Are Rolling Over Moderate Republicans. Wellen, Russ // Foreign Policy in Focus;7/14/2010, p3
The article references an article by Robert Farley over the disagreement between the U.S. Republicans who favor arms control and engagement with Russia over the development of a think thank.
- WE MUST STOP THEM! Ankomah, Baffour // New African;Mar2003, Issue 416, p8
Focuses on the reaction of African countries regarding policies of the U.S. to possess nuclear weapons and its strategies of war. Criticism by the African politcal leader Nelson Mandela regarding the threatened invasion of Iraq by the U.S. and Great Britain todisarm Iraqi president Saddam...
- INF treaty. Mann, P.; Mecham, M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;12/14/87, Vol. 127 Issue 24, p19
Defense analysts believe the intermediate range nuclear forces treaty (INF) signed at the recent US-Soviet summit signals a shift from nuclear weapons to advanced conventional systems that will intensify the arms race in exotic technologies. This shift comes from the realization that precise,...
- Reagan/Gorbachev summit memorandum det Mann, P.; Mecham, M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;12/14/87, Vol. 127 Issue 24, p21
The intermediate range nuclear forces treaty (INF) signed by Reagan and Gorbachev uses a step-down method of eliminating medium and short range ballistic missiles that is verifiable with on-site inspections. A memorandum also signed identifies military and contractor facilities in the US that...
- INF treaty ratification viewed... Mann, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;1/4/88, Vol. 128 Issue 1, p36
A consensus has emerged that Senate ratification of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) disarmament treaty is almost certain because of its public popularity and unprecedented on-site inspections. Congressional support is broad and bipartisan, but the Administration fears some...
- Senate panel concludes INF is verifiable... Mecham, M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;3/28/88, Vol. 128 Issue 13, p19
The Senate Intelligence Committee has unanimously concluded that the US-Soviet decision to ban intermediate range nuclear forces (INF), coupled with a probable strategic weapons limit, requires an immediate effort to modernize the US technical inventory. Independent analysts suggest satellites...
- US, Soviet missile experts begin INF treaty.. Foley, T.M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/11/88, Vol. 129 Issue 2, p25
Reports on the US and Soviet Intermediate range nuclear forces (INF) treaty verifications recently begun at both country's facilities. The visits mark the start of 13 years of on-site inspections between the US and Soviet Union. Sites; Inspections; Timetables; Notice provisions; Elimination...
- Six minutes to midnight. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Jan/Feb1988, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p3
Editorial. Explains why recent events, such as the US-Soviet intermediate-range nuclear forces treaty (INF), improved US-Soviet relations, and that other efforts to reduce the arms race demonstrate that the world's dangerous course can be changed. Discussion of the INF treaty.
- INF treaty a good start. Warnke, P.C. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Mar1988, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p18
Discusses the intermediate-range nuclear forces (INF) treaty and why it is a good start in arms control. Needed changes in the US negotiating position.