A proliferation of hypotheses: Postmodernism and literary studies
- Postmodernism and the possibilities for representation. Merwick, Donna // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p4
Discusses the concept of postmodernism in literature. Roger Norrington's musical prowess; Features of postmodernism; Debates on postmodernism; Critiques on the works of the postmodernist writers Jean-Francois Lyotard and Jacques Derrida; Postmodernist strategies; Concept of the past as...
- Postmodernism and history. Goodman, David // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p17
Discusses the place of postmodernism in history. Debate on the concepts of postmodernism and representation; Issues raised by the postmodernist critique of modernism; Openness associated with postmodernism; Impact of poststructuralism and postmodernism; Awareness of the poetics of history at...
- Postmodernism and the discipline of drama/theater studies. Goodall, Jane // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p24
Discusses the postmodernist movement in drama and theater studies. Ihab Hassan's contributions to the critical study of postmodernism through his two column schema; Application of Hassan's schema to architectural theory and practice; Architectural and theatrical views on the question of...
- Singing in the (post-Apocalyptic) rain: Some high/low notes on post/postmodernism and... Smith, Carlton; De Barros, Deborah Paes // American Studies International;Apr95, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p1
Examines the trend of postmodernism in American literature since 1984. Writers' effort to find place of domesticity; Postmodernists' focus on masculinity, territorial destiny and suspect celebration of individualism; Presence of ironic nostalgia, loss and regret in novels and short stories;...
- Questioning Representation. Colebrook, Claire // Substance: A Review of Theory & Literary Criticism;2000, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p47
Presents an article about the representation of postmodernity in literature. Ways in which postmodernity has been described; Information on the broad senses of representation; Discussion on the anti-Kantian representationalism.
- Some Random Thoughts on History's Recent Past. Confino, Michael // History & Memory;Fall/Winter2000, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p29
Discusses the attempt of literary postmodernism to subvert history as an eventful past and history as a discipline. Details of the directions of intellectual discourse and of historical thought and writing after the wars of the 20th century; Types of putschism against historical writing;...
- Where Angels Soar. Kondakov, Igor // Russian Studies in Literature;Winter2001, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p6
Discusses distinctions among Russian literatures of the 20th century. Classification of Russian literature; Comic distance; Differences of opinion in contemporary postmodernist texts; Idea of good and bad in Russian literature.
- Mapping the `unmappable': Inhabiting the fantastic interface of Gravity's Rainbow. Nova, Jose Liste // Studies in the Novel;Winter97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p512
No abstract available.
- The redemptive past in the neo-Victorian novel. Shiller, Dana // Studies in the Novel;Winter97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p538
No abstract available.