Postmodernism and the possibilities for representation
- Singing in the (post-Apocalyptic) rain: Some high/low notes on post/postmodernism and... Smith, Carlton; De Barros, Deborah Paes // American Studies International;Apr95, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p1
Examines the trend of postmodernism in American literature since 1984. Writers' effort to find place of domesticity; Postmodernists' focus on masculinity, territorial destiny and suspect celebration of individualism; Presence of ironic nostalgia, loss and regret in novels and short stories;...
- Postmodernism and history. Goodman, David // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p17
Discusses the place of postmodernism in history. Debate on the concepts of postmodernism and representation; Issues raised by the postmodernist critique of modernism; Openness associated with postmodernism; Impact of poststructuralism and postmodernism; Awareness of the poetics of history at...
- Postmodernism and the discipline of drama/theater studies. Goodall, Jane // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p24
Discusses the postmodernist movement in drama and theater studies. Ihab Hassan's contributions to the critical study of postmodernism through his two column schema; Application of Hassan's schema to architectural theory and practice; Architectural and theatrical views on the question of...
- A proliferation of hypotheses: Postmodernism and literary studies. Manning, Greg // American Studies International;Oct93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p31
Discusses the postmodernist movement in literature. Postmodern manifestation in literary studies; Beginnings of literary theory with poststructuralism; Deconstruction and literary theory; The new historicism as a representation of an attempt to recuperate meta-narrative.
- Questioning Representation. Colebrook, Claire // Substance: A Review of Theory & Literary Criticism;2000, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p47
Presents an article about the representation of postmodernity in literature. Ways in which postmodernity has been described; Information on the broad senses of representation; Discussion on the anti-Kantian representationalism.
- Some Random Thoughts on History's Recent Past. Confino, Michael // History & Memory;Fall/Winter2000, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p29
Discusses the attempt of literary postmodernism to subvert history as an eventful past and history as a discipline. Details of the directions of intellectual discourse and of historical thought and writing after the wars of the 20th century; Types of putschism against historical writing;...
- Mapping the `unmappable': Inhabiting the fantastic interface of Gravity's Rainbow. Nova, Jose Liste // Studies in the Novel;Winter97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p512
No abstract available.
- The redemptive past in the neo-Victorian novel. Shiller, Dana // Studies in the Novel;Winter97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p538
No abstract available.
- Gender and postmodern communication. Steinkamp, Fiona // Monist;Jul97, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p448
Presents information on the `Monist Interactive Issue' discussion on the Gender and Postmodern Communication held from June 22-July 15, 1996.