Character-building programs abound at inner-city school
- The moral dimension of civic education in the elementary school: Habit or reason. White, Charles S. // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p35
Describes two general approaches to moral development. Formation of moral habits; Development of moral reasoning; Criticisms against moral development; Habit formation; Increase in attention to moral reasoning; Philosophical justifications.
- Children and community service: Character education in action. O'Keefe, Joseph M. // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p47
Focuses on school-based community service programs in Catholic elementary schools, with emphasis on character education. Civic virtue of students; Interest in community service programs; Discussion of community service programs in the popular press; Education research.
- Using rituals to define the school community. Mullis, Fran; Fincher, Susanne F. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Apr96, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p243
Discusses the appropriate use of rituals in elementary character education in the United States. Symbolic language of rituals; Power of rituals in involving participants in educational activities; Rituals in influencing educational community spirit; Three stages in the use of rituals; Planning...
- In pursuit of the moral school. Bernardo, Rodolfo; Neal, Jo // Journal of Education;1997, Vol. 179 Issue 3, p33
Traces the efforts of one urban elementary school to turn the tide of poor scholastic achievement, of parent alienation, and of student misbehavior with the infusion of a schoolwide character education program. Story of the Allen Academy transformation; Essential goals that emerged from the...
- STICKY SITUATION. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;9/8/2008, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p7
A question is presented that aims to teach children about honesty and the proper thing do when they see a classmate cheating.
- The Effect of Different Teaching Strategies on the Moral Development of Physical Education Students. Gibbons, Sandra L.; Ebbeck, Vicki // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Oct1997, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p85
Focuses on the effects of different teaching strategies of physical education students on moral development. Assessment of moral judgment on teachers prosocial behavior; Implication of post intervention for the control on moral judgment; Effectiveness of both social learning and...
- Hallie Randal Students Rally to be 'Paws-itive" Characters" // Grand Saline Sun (TX);10/ 6/2011, Vol. 114 Issue 40, p1A
The article reports on the Bobcat Rally for "Paws-itive" Character staged by Hallie Randall Elementary School in Fruitvale, Texas on September 27, 2011 in which students enjoy music, jokes, role-playing, hearing stories and watching movies with lessons on respect and kindness.
- New children's book exposes flaws of modern classroom. London, Herb // Human Events;6/16/95, Vol. 51 Issue 23, p18
Argues that children must be taught to choose the good over the bad. View that children should not be confronted with difficult moral choices or be allowed to resign themselves to indifference; Philosophical relativism in children's literature; Dilemma epitomized by the Newberry Medal awardee...
- A Dearing opportunity: History teaching and moral education. Baldwin, Gavin // Teaching History;Jun94, Issue 76, p29
Discusses the integration of history teaching and moral education as an approach to primary history teaching in Great Britain. Conflicts and dilemmas of the teacher as historian and moral educator; History as a medium for considering moral issues; Process of historical investigation; Exercises...