NEWS IN BRIEF
- Making sense of credit-rating blues. Suderman, Arlan // Kansas Farmer (0022-8583);Sep2011, Vol. 149 Issue 9, p117
The article focuses on the threat on the credit default in the U.S. feared by the financial sectors due to the report of the Standard and Poor's Corp. which reduced its outlook on the sovereign debt of the nation to negative.
- A Wake-Up Call to Congress. Milligan, Susan // U.S. News Digital Weekly;8/12/2011, Vol. 3 Issue 32, p5
The article explores the implications of the decision of Standard and Poor's (S&P) to downgrade the U.S. public debt to AA+ from AAA. The move has prompted several lawmakers, including Democratic Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, to turn to politics and cross-party blame. It is noted that the...
- Fitch - US could lose AAA rating by 2013. Salih, Chris // Money Marketing (Online Edition);12/22/2011, p1
The article reports on a warning by ratings agency Fitch Inc. that claims that the AAA rating for the U.S. is under threat if its politicians fails to face its growing problem in debt. It states that he agency placed he U.S. credit rating on negative in November 2011 citing the failure of U.S...
- Country Update. // Political Risk Yearbook: United States Country Report;2012, pU-1
The article provides an update on the politics and economy in the U.S. as of November 2011. The problem of the country in terms of politics has been highlighted by the inability of the Democratic and Republican parties to have a cooperative working relationship. It adds that level of...
- Is This Standard & Poor's America, or Alexander Hamilton's America? Podhoretz, John // Commentary;Sep2011, Vol. 132 Issue 2, p1
The author reflects on the 2011 credit downgrade issued by the credit agency Standard & Poor (S&P) and former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton's political fight for paying down national debt. The author details the political nature of S&P's decision and the backlash from the...
- WASHINGTON'S RED TIDE. Horowitz, Barry // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);8/22/2011, Vol. 12 Issue 30, p40
The article discusses the impact of Standard & Poor's downgrade of the credit rating of the U.S. in August 2011 on its economy. The author notes that consumer confidence in the U.S. is low, housing prices have not yet recovered, and ocean shipping companies are unable to raise freight rates yet...
- chapter 3: Special Report. // Indonesia Business Forecast Report;2007 1st Quarter, p21
The article presents Sovereign risk ratings by the periodical "Business Monitor International," of different countries owing to their debt servicing capabilities.
- S&P Downgrades N.J. GOs, Joining Fitch and Moody's. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;6/5/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31401, p3
Reports the lowering of Standard & Poor's rating on the general obligation debt of New Jersey. Basis on the reduction; Factors affecting the debt of New Jersey; Remedy to the debt problem.
- Leveraged Loans Retreat Further. Colter, Allison Bisbey // High Yield Report;8/15/2011, p5
The article reports on the continued decline of leverage loan prices in secondary trading on August 15, 2011, as riskier assets were avoided by investors with the downgrade in U.S. credit rating by Standard & Poor's (S&P).