Maryland Governor Floats Property-Tax Hike
- In Reversal, Maryland Governor Backs Property Tax Hike. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;5/1/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31626, p41
Contrary to reports that he would veto a property tax hike, Maryland Governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. voted with the two other members of the Board of Public Works to increase the state's portion of the tax to pay debt service on the state's bonds. But the governor indicated he wants the increase...
- Maryland Democrats: No Slot Machines to Balance Budget. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;2/6/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31568, p4
Discusses the opposition of Maryland Democrats to governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s proposed gambling revenue to balance the budget of the state. Predictions by the Department of Legislative Services regarding installation of slot machines; Revenue that is expected from slot machines at race...
- Republican governor signs medical pot bill into law. // Gay & Lesbian Times;5/29/2003, Issue 805, p30
Reports that Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich signed a bill on May 22, 2003 that reduces criminal penalties for seriously ill people who smoke marijuana.
- Bill would delay suits on fees to loan brokers. // American Banker;4/11/1997, Vol. 162 Issue 69, p2
Highlights Representative Robert Ehrlich's bill that would place a moratorium on class actions attacking lender-paid fees to mortgage brokers. Scope of the legislation; Sponsors of the bill.
- From our readers. // Prepared Foods;Aug97, Vol. 166 Issue 9, p122
Reports that in a response to `The Botanical Boost,' in the May 1997 issue of `Prepared Foods,' Robert Ehrlich, president of Robert's American Gourment, Rosyln Heights, New York, replied that his company which markets a line of herbal vegetarian snacks, applies the herbs to air popped pellets...
- Maryland's Triple-A Seen Impervious to Budget Wrangling. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;4/11/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31613, p4
Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. may oppose a property tax increase designed to finance the state's debt service and might decide to deduct the state's spending, but financial experts say the state's triple-A bond rating will ultimately be unaffected. Ehrlich reportedly sponsored a 50...
- Maryland Governor's Latest Slot Plan Would Restrict Local Governments. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;3/17/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31594, p7
Reports on Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s slot machine proposal. Impact of the proposal on local governments' ability to set up zoning restrictions; criticism of the proposal; Expected amount of total upfront licensing fee to be collected after the implementation of the proposal.
- Maryland Lawmakers: More Slot Money For Education, Not Recetrack Owners. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;3/20/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31597, p3
Reports that the Maryland Senate Budget and Taxation Committee is working to change governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s racetrack slot machine proposal to give more of the venture profits to education. Factors contributing to the move; Details of the proposal; Reaction of House Democratic leaders...
- In Switch, Maryland Governor Weighs Referendum on Slots. Emily Newman // Bond Buyer;9/9/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31965, p4
Reports on the possibility of referendum to determine whether to legalize slot machines in Maryland. Position of Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich on slot machines.