DeCotiis Tapped as New Jersey Governor's Chief Counsel
- Saturday night massacre II. Dash, Samuel // Foreign Policy;Fall94, Issue 96, p173
Reviews the book `Final Report of the Independent Counsel for Iran/Contra Matters,' by Lawrence E. Walsh. Story of the Ronald Reagan-era scandal; Ethics in Government Act 1978; Former President George Bush's pardon.
- Are independent counsels more controversial than their targets? Akers, Mary Ann // Insight on the News;02/02/98, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p44
Deals with the question of whether to rewrite the 1978 law creating independent counsels which was to be addressed by Congress in 1998. When the controversial statute must be reauthorized by; What both sides of the debate accused the other of; Comments from Senator Fred Thompson, chairman of...
- Utah Tech Watch. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;09/07/98, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p21
Opinion. Comments that American special prosecutors appointed after 1998 may not have the same caliber as their predecessors. Example of the denouncement of Kenneth Starr by the media.
- High crimes and special prosecutors. Johnson, Constance // U.S. News & World Report;11/8/93, Vol. 115 Issue 18, p47
Examines the issue of special prosecutors which Congress will take up sometime before the end of 1993. President Clinton favors it; Officially known as independent counsels; Federal law signed by Jimmy Carter to ensure the independence of special prosecutors; Mixed record of special...
- The second act. Reske, Henry J. // ABA Journal;Sep94, Vol. 80 Issue 9, p32
Discusses the passage of the Independent Counsel Act of 1994. Implications of passage; Applicability of law.
- Independent counsel disconnect. Jost, Kenneth // ABA Journal;Apr97, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p30
Looks at the reforms on independent counsel law in the United States proposed by people who had once held the post. Imperfect nature of the flaw; Call for the limitation of number of officials covered by the act; Proposal of giving the attorney general subpoena power for the preliminary...
- Senate renews special prosecutor. // Human Events;12/4/93, Vol. 53 Issue 49, p18
Reports on the November 18, 1993 Senate rollcall vote reauthorizing the independent counsel law for five years. First passing in 1978; Arguments from supporters and opponents.
- House rejects improved Independent Counsel Bill. // Human Events;2/25/94, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p22
Reports on the US House of Representatives' rejection of a Republican-backed substitute version of the Independent Counsel Statute. Provisions in the bill; Reduction of the independence of an Independent Counsel; Lawrence Walsh's Iran-Contra investigation as proof of the need for changes; Roll...
- Revise the counsel law. // Christian Science Monitor;1/29/98, Vol. 90 Issue 44, p20
Opinion. Contends that the legislation governing the actions of independent counsels should be changed to limit the scope of investigations while still maintaining the ability of the counsels to investigate wrong doing. The danger of little or no accountability mixed with large budgets; The...