The environmental belief-behaviour gap: Exploring barriers to green consumerism

Gabler, Colin B.; Butler, Timothy D.; Adams, Frank G.
June 2013
Journal of Customer Behaviour;Summer/Autumn2013, Vol. 12 Issue 2/3, p159
Academic Journal
While more and more consumers profess a desire to be environmentallyfriendly, many firms have not experienced the expected financial gains from offering green products and services. This presents a frustrating paradox for managers as a society with seemingly strong environmental attitudes has yet to follow through in its collective behaviour. In this research, we conduct qualitative interviews to investigate why consumers call themselves environmentallyconscious but fail to live in a way that is congruent with these values. Two main themes emerge. First, while green may be ingrained into our culture, consumers do not feel enough social pressure or influence to act on their beliefs. Second, given the vast scope of the problem, many individuals do not believe that one person can have a tangible effect. We propose that perceived green impact - or the degree to which individuals believe their environmentally focused behaviours matter - may moderate relationships described by the theory of planned behaviour and increase the theory's explanatory power in a green context. Further, our findings may help policymakers and managers create strategies that encourage consumers to act in accordance with their environmental beliefs.


Related Articles

  • Green Consumerism: An Overview. Watts, Christine // Australia Points of View: Green Consumerism;2017, p1 

    General information regarding green consumerism is presented. The author reviews the economic and environmental impacts of consumption, with particular focus given to the impacts of consumerism in Australia and New Zealand. Environmentally-friendly products, carbon offsetting, and ecological...

  • Point: Green Consumerism Encourages Responsibility. Reed, M.; Morley, David C. // Points of View: Green Consumerism;3/1/2016, p2 

    The article argues that the concept of green consumerism urges the U.S. public to make environment-friendly decisions. It claims that green consumerism allows consumers to modify their behavior by understanding the environmental impact of certain products. Buying green products is said to be an...

  • What's Hot at WWW. EDCmag.com.  // Environmental Design & Construction;Feb2010, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p8 

    An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses an article on zero net energy consumption and zero carbon emissions, the top picks of green products, and insightful writings on green building issues.

  • Will the Mainstream Buy Green to Save the Earth? Dubin, Jeff // Sustainable Brands Weekly;5/20/2010, p1 

    In this article the author reflects on the purchasing of green household cleaner and personal care products by women to maintain environmental sustainability. He says that around 20 percent of the whole women population are frequent greens, and from the rest of 80 percent, only 15 percent think...

  • Connecting Sustainability and Green Cleaning. Ashkin, Stephen P. // Sustainable Facility;Nov2008, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p34 

    The article presents a discussion concerning the definition of green cleaning. The said definition characterizes green as simultaneously addressing health and environmental impacts as well as a comparison. It also goes on to state that the "comparison may consider raw materials acquisition,...

  • Greentelling. Doak, Justin // Display & Design Ideas;Jun2009, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p16 

    The article presents the author's comments and suggestions regarding the environmental or green responsibilities of the retail trade. He states that there is no magic bullet for green marketing as the strategy must be unique to one's company, product and process. His suggestions include...

  • DON'T TRASH YOUR FUTURE. GO GREEN, LIVE RICH!!! SRIVASTAVA, K. K. // 4Ps Business & Marketing;Feb2014, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p49 

    The article discusses how marketers can help make consumers aware of the environmental impact of their purchases. Surveys indicate increasing consumer awareness about global temperature changes and carbon footprints. This has in turn prompted businesses to become environment friendly and launch...

  • Measuring the Environmental Impact of Marketing Communications.  // Sustainable Brands Weekly;2/ 4/2010, p1 

    The article focuses on the measurement of the environmental impact of marketing communications.

  • Measuring the Environmental Impact of Marketing Communications.  // Sustainable Brands Weekly;2/11/2010, p8 

    The article focuses on the environmental footprint of marketing communications in environmental sustainability.


Read the Article


Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics