The Influence of Information and Role-Playing Experiences on Children's Attitudes Toward Peers Who Use AAC
- Augmentative and alternative communication impact on families: Trends and future directions. Parette, Howard P.; Angelo, Dianne H. // Journal of Special Education;Spring96, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p77
Examines the impact of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) on families. Family as a system; Prescription of appropriate AAC devices; Implementation of AAC across multiple contexts; Maintenance of AAC use; Anticipation of transition needs.
- Using visual accents to enhance attending to communications symbols for students with severe... Bailey, Brent R.; Downing, June // Re:View;Fall94, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p101
Reports on the provision of communication symbols for students with multiple disabilities. Effects of visual impairments to information obtaining ability; Components of cognitive processes; Role of pictographic presentations; Benefits of alternative and augmented communications (AAC); Insight...
- Discourse comprehension of synthetic speech across three augmentative and alternative... Higginbotham, Jeffrey; Scally, Christine A. // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Aug95, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p889
Examines the relative effects of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) speech output methods on a listener's ability to summarize paragraph-length texts. Problem with the comprehension of speech message output from AAC; Quality of the synthetic speech signal; Categories of the...
- Spoken messages as auditory cues for orientation in promoting indoor travel and activity by... Lancioni, G.E.; Oliva, D. // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Oct97, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p403
Examines the study which was used to assess the effectiveness of relatively infrequent spoken messages in guiding persons who have multiple disabilities to destinations. How infrequent buzzer-like sounds would match the effects of spoken messages; Comparison of the differences between spoken...
- The Performance of Typically Developing 2 1/2-Year-Olds on Dynamic Display AAC Technologies With Different System Layouts and Language Organizations. Drager, Kathryn D. R.; Light, Janice C.; Speltz, JoHannah Curran; Fallon, Karen A.; Jeffries, Lauren Z. // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Apr2003, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p298
The current generation of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) technologies is largely based on conceptual models of adults who are not disabled (J. Light & P. Lindsay, 1991). As a result, there is a large "cost of learning" placed on young children. This paper presents the results...
- Augmentative and Alternative Communications for Persons with Autism: History, Issues, and Unanswered Questions. Ogletree, Billy T.; Harn, William E. // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p138
Introduces a series of articles which focus on augmentative and alternative communication for persons with autism. Initiatives for addressing the problem on communicative deficits of individuals with autism.
- Autism, Augmentative Communication, and Assistive Technology: What Do We Really Know? Mirenda, Pat // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p141
Presents a review of literatures about augmentative and alternative communication (ACC) for individuals with autism. Assessment of ACC systems; Staff and family training; Information on ACC intervention strategies.
- Dynamic Assessment of Graphic Symbol Combinations by Children with Autism. Nigam, Ravi // Focus on Autism & Other Developmental Disabilities;Fall2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p190
Focuses on the applications of augmentative and alternative communication systems in persons with autism. Information on a zone proximal development assessment technique; Language and communication intervention for children with autism; Milieu language teaching strategies.
- Teaching Partner-Focused Questions to Individuals Who Use Augmentative and Alternative Communication to Enhance Their Communicative Competence. Light, Janice C.; Binger, Cathy; Agate, Tracy L.; Ramsay, Karen N. // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Feb1999, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p241
Presents information on an experimental design used to investigate the effect of instruction on the acquisition, generalization, and long-term maintenance of partner-focused questions by individuals who use augmentative and alternative communication. Methodology; Teaching of the use of...