Prophylactic citalopram reduced recurrences of unipolar major depression
- Paroxetine maintains HRQOL in elderly with depression. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;11/3/2007, Issue 540, p14
The article focuses on the results of a study which found that pharmacotherapy with paroxetine is effective for maintaining improvements in health-related (HR) quality of life (QOL) obtained with short-term treatment in elderly patients with depression. According to Quality of Well-Being Scale...
- Late-life depression: When and how to intervene. Butler, Robert N.; Lewis, Myrna I. // Geriatrics;Aug95, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p44
Discusses the treatment for depression in aged people. Effect of the condition on cognitive functioning; Increase of suicide risk factor caused by depression; Therapies involving psychological intervention; Treatment using antidepressant drugs.
- Managing depression in the elderly. Blazer, Dan G.; Grossberg, George T.; Pollock, Bruce G.; O'Connor, Deborah L. // Patient Care;5/15/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p73
Presents a look at a practical approach that can be used to help improve the quality of life for the depressed elderly. Why the elderly are vulnerable to depression; Information on depression in the elderly; Challenges primary care physicians face in detecting depression in the elderly; Details...
- A caution on treating depression in older patients. Pinkowish, Mary Desmond // Patient Care;7/15/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p212
Presents a summary of the article entitled `Effectiveness of Treatments of Depression in Older Ambulatory Patients,' by J. McCusker, M. cole, E. Keller and others which was published in the 1998 issue of the `Archives of Internal Medicine' journal.
- Geriatric depression as an opportunity. Gelberd, Barbara; Neaveill, Rodney S. // Behavioral Health Management;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p44
Demonstrates the advantages of integrated health plans by developing comprehensive program for the treatment of depression in older people in the United States. Way to provide more care at less cost; Factors which contributed to an incidence of major depression in diabetics; Effect of...
- Diagnosis and treatment of depression in the elderly. Huffman, Grace Brooke // American Family Physician;2/15/1998, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p818
Presents a study by B.D. Lebowitz on the treatment evaluation of depression in the elderly, originally from the journal `JAMA,' volume 278, 1997 issue. Details on the study; Methology used in the study; Findings of the study.
- Age-old myth goes bust. Wrightson, Cassandra // Health (Time Inc. Health);Sep97, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p62
Discusses the reasons why just 10 percent of the 6 million depressed senior citizens receive treatment according to the American Federation of Aging Research. Symptoms of depression; Percentage of elderly sufferers that remain symptom free while receiving treatment.
- Feel better by helping others. // Arthritis Today;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p14
Presents a survey on older adults by the University of Michigan showing that helping others can reduce feelings of depression.
- Recognition and Treatment of Dysthymia in Elderly Patients. Bellino, S.; Bogetto, F.; Vaschetto, P.; Ziero, S.; Ravizza, L. // Drugs & Aging;2000, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p107
This review focuses on recent literature concerning dysthymia in the elderly population. Epidemiological data and clinical picture, diagnostic and therapeutic issues are evaluated and discussed. Although depressive syndromes are common in older patients, prevalence rates of dysthymia in the...