Review: Î²-blockers, sotalol, amiodarone, and biatrial pacing all reduce atrial fibrillation after heart surgery
- Atrial fibrillation and stroke prevention in the community. O'Connell, Janice E.; Gray, Christopher S. // Age & Ageing;Jul96, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p307
Examines atrial fibrillation and stroke prevention among the elderly in the community. Prevalence of atrial fibrillation; Therapy with aspirin or warfarin as primary or secondary stroke prevention; Decision to commence antithrombotic therapy.
- Corticosteroids prevented atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. // ACP Journal Club;Sept/Oct2007, Vol. 147 Issue 2, p36
The article reports on a study on prevention of atrial fibrillation by using postoperative corticosteroids in patients having cardiac surgery. It mentions a follow-up period of 84 hours. The subjects had gone through their first on-pump coronary artery bypass graft and/or aortic valve...
- Corticosteroids prevented atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: COMMENTARY. Knight, Bradley P. // ACP Journal Club;Sept/Oct2007, Vol. 147 Issue 2, p36
The article reports on prevention of atrial fibrillation by using corticosteroids after cardiac surgery in patients. It reports on evidences favoring that inflammation is related to a higher risk for atrial fibrillation. By giving intravenous hydrocortisone from the evening after cardiac surgery...
- Warfarin management ensures cost effectiveness. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;8/8/2009, Issue 584, p9
The article discusses research on the dependence of the cost effectiveness of warfarin for the prevention of atrial fibrillation-linked strokes on effective monitoring of International Normalized Ratio (INRs) and discontinuation rates. It references a study by S. V. Sorensen et al, published in...
- A new era of stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: comparing a new generation of oral anticoagulants with warfarin. Stambler, Bruce S. // International Archives of Medicine;2013, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p1
Traditionally, warfarin has been used to prevent stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF), but data from large, multinational, prospective, randomized studies suggest that novel oral anticoagulants (NOACs) may be suitable alternatives. These include the direct thrombin inhibitor...
- Intraoperative Echocardiography in Valvular Heart Disease: An Evidence-Based Appraisal. Michelena, Hector I.; Abel, Martin D.; Suri, Rakesh M.; Freeman, William K.; Click, Roger L.; Sundt, Thoralf M.; Schaff, Hartzell V.; Enriquez-Sarano, Maurice // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Jul2010, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p646
Intraoperative (IO) transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) is widely used for assessing the results of valvular heart disease (VHD) surgery. Epiaortic ultrasonography (EAU) has been recommended for prevention of perioperative strokes. To what extent does high-quality evidence justify the...
- AF and AD: reaching out to patients. // Patient Care;12/15/1994, Vol. 28 Issue 20, p15
Focuses on the results of the Atrial Fibrillation Patient Notification Program in America. Sponsorship by the American College of Chest Physicians, National Stroke Association and Alliance for Aging Research; Availability of a toll-free counseling line; Availability of counseling services in...
- Atrial fibrillation and stroke: What we know, what's new, and what we should do now. Landefeld, C. Seth // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;09/15/97, Vol. 157 Issue 6, p695
Reports on ischemic stroke as the common cause of disability, dependency and death and occurs in many people with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. What has been learned about the epidemiology and prevention of strokes; What we know; What is new; What we can do now.
- Novel antiarrhythmic reduces recurrences of atrial fibrillation. // Formulary;Jan1999, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p76
States that the investigational class III antiarrhythmic azimilide reduces symptom recurrences of atrial fibrillation. Mechanism by which the drug acts in the body; Dosage of administration; Median time to the first symptomatic recurrence of atrial fibrillation in patients taking azimilide.