Splitting Up: Sylvan Learning Spins Off K-12 Business, Forms New Higher Education Company
- Sylvan K-12 Buyout Tops M&A Activity in First Quarter 2003. // Educational Marketer;4/14/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p4
Reports that Sylvan Learning Systems Inc. tops in the merger and acquisition activity in the first quarter of 2003 in the U.S. Cost of the deal; Acquisition of K-12 businesses; Emphasis on promoting higher education enterprises.
- Yau, Becker: This pair is a full house. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;03/24/97, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p1
Presents information on the proposed acquisition of National Education Corporation by Sylvan Learning Systems Incorporated. Where the companies are based; Information on both companies; Background information on Sam Yau and Douglas Becker, chief executive officers respectively; Comments from...
- Education Cos. Learn the ABCs of M&A. Martinez, Matthew // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;06/21/99, Vol. 12 Issue 25, p1
Offers information on the increasing mergers and acquisitions activity in the education industry in the United States. Ideal targets for acquisitions in the post-secondary market; Details on the deal clinched by Sylvan Learning Systems Inc.; Reason for the difficulty in hostile takeover of a...
- Acquisitions & Partnerships... // Educational Marketer;6/23/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 18, p8
Reports international developments related to educational marketing as of June 2003. Controlling interest of Sylvan Learning systems in Universidad Nacional Andres Bello; Acquisition of Career Choices Inc. by Corinthian Colleges; Procurement of the assets of East Coast Aero Tech LLC by...
- Summary of U.S. Public Merger Activity Greater Than $100 M. // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;10/09/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 40, p7
Presents a chart which gives a summary of public merger deals greater than $100 million in the United States as of October 9, 2000. Acquiring companies; Acquired companies; Information on the background of the companies.
- Private Targets Greater Than $100M. // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;10/09/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 40, p8
Presents a chart of acquisition deals among private companies greater than 100 million dollars in the United States as of October 9, 2000. Acquiring companies; Acquired companies; Details on the deals.
- Prices, But Not Pace, of Acquisitions and Mergers Will Continue to Cool for More Stability in 2003. // Educational Marketer;1/13/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p1
Focuses on the total amount generated from acquisition during 2002 in the U.S. Number of acquisition deals completed; Factors driving acquisitions; Sale of Houghton Mifflin by Vivendi Universal to a consortium of investment firms.
- Exit strategy critical for entrepreneurs. Yeanoplos, Kevin R. // Las Vegas Business Press;8/27/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 35, p9
Provides a guidelines in buying and selling business. Importance of exit strategy for profitability; Recruitment of professional help to get best price and terms; Consideration of tax ramifications.
- Reversal of fortunes. Sikora, Martin // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p3
Discusses economic conditions for selling, according to a survey of the International Association of Merger & Acquisition Consultants. Contrast between conditions in July 1998 and July 1999; Financiers' attitudes towards mergers and acquisitions; Effects of falling share prices on capital markets.