Myths and misconceptions in adult literacy
Tags: FUNCTIONAL literacy
- The young and the illiterate. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;12/25/95, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p37
Reports that according to the study `Literacy, Economy and Society,' released by Statistics Canada in December 1995, one in three Canadian young adults suffers from severe reading problems. Details of the study; Statistics about the reading levels of 16- to 25-year-old Canadians; Reasons for...
- Lifelong learning. // Vocational Education Journal;Feb96, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p14
No abstract available.
- The Total Literacy Project of Ernakulam: An Epoch-making experiment in India. Joseph, P.J. // Convergence;1996, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p10
Reports on an epoch-making experiment in the field of adult literacy in India. Program planning; Accessibility; Mass campaign of awareness and motivation; Project launch.
- Why Johnny's dad can't read. Bishop, Meredith // Policy Review;Winter91, Issue 55, p19
Focuses on the social problems associated with the lack of universal adult literacy in the United States. Lack of accountability in adult literacy programs; Lack of interest by illiterates; Combination of literacy training with drug and alcohol rehabilitation for the homeless.
- To read or not to read. Wagner, Daniel A. // Education Week;10/25/95, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p44
Reports on the problem of adult literacy in America. Lack of attention to adult-literacy needs; Estimate of the number of adults in need of retraining or developing even the most basic literary skills as being the same as that of the entire national school-age population; Results of National...
- International comparisons of adult literacy. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb98, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p405
Focuses on international comparisons of adult literacy. Literacy as a tool necessary for successful economic performance in industrialized countries; Influence of a country's quality and quantity of formal education on literacy levels within countries; Comparison of adult literacy between the...
- Female adult illiteracy: A world-view. // Women's International Network News;Spring90, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p79
Focuses on adult illiteracy. Statistical data; Enrollment levels; Gender differences.
- Reinventing literacy in `new times'. Luke, Allan; Elkins, John // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Sep98, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p4
Editorial. Discusses the changes that affect the texts and literate practices of everyday life. Most useful component of the tool kit for all literacy educators; Period that marked out the ascendancy and evolution of many genres that have since become central to teaching; Radical development...
- What's coming: The new column coordinators. Christian-Smith, Linda; Cherland, Meredith Rogers // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Sep98, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p62
Presents the authors' stand in literacy education and the types of books that will be reviewed in the periodical `Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy.' Autobiography of the authors; Perception regarding literacy education; Qualities of people who will be asked to review books.
- Becoming a provider. Staggard, Suzzane // APLIS;Sep90, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p167
Reviews current events in the adult literacy field of Victoria. Roles of program coordinators and regional adult literacy and basic education officers; Regional Councils of the Victorian Division of Further Education; Funding sources; Networks; How to become a registered provider.