Sex, lies, and sudden death in Santa Barbara
- Why women nowadays can get away with murder, and why men still can't. Weber, Arnott // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;1/11/93, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p26
Discusses that where abused women are accused of murder, the legal system handles their cases with a special degree of `sensitivity.' Case of Jane Stafford in March 1982 in Bang's Falls, Nova Scotia; Feminist movement; Courtroom practices; Other cases of slap-on-the-wrist sentences for women;...
- Murder at the max. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;1/11/93, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p43
Reports that a 27-year-old inmate at the Edmonton Institution was stabbed to death with a homemade icepick last week. Weapon searches conducted; Maximum security facility as of last year; Tightened security measures increased tensions.
- Russian roulette. Poe, Randall; Courter, Carol Lee // Across the Board;Mar1997, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p5
Reports on the likely murder targets in Russia.
- Selected non-treatment. // Commentary;Nov84, Vol. 78 Issue 5, p31
Infanticide, the killing of unwanted babies, is back in fashion. The journalism on infanticide is rife with error. The Indiana case of Baby Doe, the case of Long Island's Baby Jane Doe, and the story of Andrew Stinson are cited. The apologists for infanticide, or selected non-treatment,...
- New York mother throws two children out of window. // Jet;10/23/89, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p18
Reports on the death and critical injuries of two New York City children after their mother pushed them out of a 10th-floor window.
- $15 million lawsuit filed in Calif. Muslim's death. // Jet;5/7/90, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p29
Reports on a $15 million wrongful death lawsuit filed on behalf of a California girl whose father was killed by a sheriff's deputy trainee during a fight between them and members of the Nation of Islam.
- Attorneys say call to gay center by lesbians' alleged killer a coincidence. // Gay & Lesbian Times;5/15/2003, Issue 803, p30
Reports that a phone call made by the man charged with murdering two hikers in Shenandoah National Park links him directly to the killings in Virginia. Irrelevance of the evidence about the phone call; Reason for a misdialled call.
- Boyfriends who kill. // Mother Jones;Feb/Mar84, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p32
Crimes of passion. Says the author, `It was hard to believe that my sister (age 24) could lose her life because she had rejected a man.' In that intimate struggle, it was his will that prevailed, hers that was defeated.
- Jefferson Parish murders reduced in 2003, compared to same time in 2002. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);7/14/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p40
Reports on the reduction in the number of murders in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Identification and arrest of convict murderers; Decline in crime rate.