Japanese blunt Big 3 offensive on tariffs
- Chicken fees. Henderson, Rick // Reason;Jun96, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p18
Reports on the increase in Russia's tariffs against chickens raised in the United States. Compliance with the conditions of a $10.1 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan.
- Philippine reduction. Bayer, Alex // Treasury & Risk Management;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p17
Reports on the Philippine government's promise to lower tariffs to five percent early in the 21st century.
- Tariff hike in Mexico hits Friday. Ostroff, Jim // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;6/5/95, Vol. 169 Issue 107, p2
Reports that Mexico's tariff hike will go into effect on June 9, 1995. Import duties on apparel produced in countries without free-trade agreements with Mexico; Reaction by American retailers and apparel firms operating in Mexico.
- Philippines. // Business America;9/20/93, Vol. 114 Issue 19, p25
Reports on the 23.51 percent decrease in the Philippines' nominal average tariff on July 1, 1993 following the implementation of the third phase of a five-year tariff-liberalization program of the government. Scheduled further tariff cuts on Philippine products on January 1, 1996.
- Oases of opportunity. Golob, S. // Nation's Business;Jul89, Vol. 77 Issue 7, p45
Reports on the use of duty-free zones as an effective cost-reduction tool for US businesses whose products require imported parts or are labor-intensive. Development of foreign-trade zones since 1934; Largest zones worldwide. INSET: Points to consider in choosing a zone..
- How to solve the trade problem. // Newsweek;1/12/87, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p40
The solution to the US trade problem is now taking shape in Congress. It's known as the `auctionable quota plan' and simply means countries with persistently large and growing current-account surpluses must dramatically cut the surpluses or face a stiff special tariff. The goal is to revive...
- Marseilles freezes tariffs. // Traffic World;3/17/97, Vol. 249 Issue 11, p45
Discusses the implications of the retention of the 1996 tariff levels at the French Mediterranean port of Marseilles, France. Lower overall costs; Measures to rebuild the market share after a general cargo stagnation between 1980 and 1994; Response to the rationalization threat resulting from...
- Effects of quotas under variable returns to scale: The large country case. Chao, Chi-Chur; Hwang, Hong // Southern Economic Journal;Apr93, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p675
Analyzes the welfare effect of quotas under variable returns to scale (VRS) in a large country case for both the home and the foreign country. Conditions under which a quota can benefit the home country, the foreign country or both; Formula for computing the second-best quota in the presence of...
- Beijing lowers tariffs. Frisbie, John // China Business Review;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p4
Reports that tariffs affecting China's imports would be reduced effective December 31, 1992. Products affected by the reduced tariff rates; Percentage of the overall reduction rates.