Just ask the neighbors
- New digs for US nuclear waste. // Engineer (00137758);2/22/2002, Vol. 291 Issue 7590, p5
Reports on the approval of a plan to build a centralized underground dump below the Yucca Mountain in Nevada for the disposal of U.S. nuclear wastes. Amount of nuclear waste produced in the U.S.; Disposal of nuclear wastes.
- For our nuclear wastes, there's gridlock on the road to the dump. Wheelwright, Jeff // Smithsonian;May95, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p40
Reports on radioactive waste and disposal problems related to it. Experiment at the Yucca Mountain Science Center in Las Vegas; Department of Energy; Definition of transuranic waste or TRU; Comments by Carl Johnson of the Nevada Nuclear Waste Project Office; Protection of the public from...
- Barrier puts the freeze on contaminant migration. Canning, Kathie // Pollution Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the low-permeability subsurface frozen soil barrier used for preventing the migration of radioactive waste from a site in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Sponsors of the project; Description of the barrier; Effectiveness of the barrier.
- Nuclear Waste in Canada. Dowdeswell, Elizabeth // Nuclear Plant Journal;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p46
Focuses on efforts of the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) to conduct a study and to recommend to the government an approach for the long-term management of Canada's used nuclear fuel. Foundations of all activities at NWMO; Commissioning of Canadian international experts to prepare...
- Academy hits out over N-waste delays. // Professional Engineering;3/27/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p10
Reports on the criticism of the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng) on the government concerning radioactive waste issue in Great Britain. Accusation of RAEng on delaying real decision on waste management; Lack of urgency timetables on untreated wastes; Declaration of RAEng on the support of...
- Rust never sleeps. D.A. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep/Oct1994, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p49
No abstract available.
- Keep nuclear waste off roads. Magavern, Bill // Christian Science Monitor;1/23/95, Vol. 87 Issue 39, p18
Discusses the problem in the disposal of nuclear waste in the United States. Decision to dump the nuclear waste in Nevada not justified.
- Nuclear waste--not! // Christian Science Monitor;4/7/97, Vol. 89 Issue 91, p20
Editorial. Discusses the disposal of nuclear waste in the United States. Information on the proposal for a national disposal site at Yucca Mountain in Nevada; Political opposition faced by the proposal; Department of Energy's plans to restart the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel at Savannah...
- Nuclear depository suffers from Nimby. Bretz, Elizabeth // Electrical World;May97, Vol. 211 Issue 5, p16
Reports that the United States Department of Energy is close to finding a permanent repository for nuclear waste. End to a three year search; What is the biggest problem; Congress' efforts to solve the problem.