Dana Design Big Sky Pack
- Gear we've tried. Jenkins, Mark; Trepanowski, Sally // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p93
Evaluates three pieces of hiking gear. The Lowe Continuum Pack from Lowe Alpine systems; The Moss Netting Deltoid Tent from Moss Inc.; The Patagonia Nitro Anorak; Contact points.
- The 20 essentials. Henderson, Bonnie // Backpacker;Oct92, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p68
Presents a list of 20 essential items that are needed for a good time in the woods. Water containers; First aid kit; Food; Map and compass; Pocket knife; Sunscreen; Sunglasses; Insect repellent; Matches; Firestarter; Cup; Whistle; Toilet paper; Flashlight; Clothing; Shelter; Sleeping bag and...
- The ultimate repair kit. Jenkins, Mark // Backpacker;Oct92, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p70
Lists a number of items which should be included in the ultimate repair kit when hiking in the backcountry. Spare AA batteries; Buckle for pack; Spare flashlight bulb; candle; Buttons; Tube of `barge cement'; Cigarette lighter; Hose clamp; Clevis pins with wire rings; Spare compass; Cord, 30...
- Robo-hiker! // Backpacker;Mar1993, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p13
Introduces the recently patented Spring Walker, which straps onto your shoulders, waist, and feet to convert leg movements into forward propulsion. Machine weighs 55 pounds; The Army has shown some interest in the contraption.
- Hide & feet. Komito, Steve // Backpacker;May93, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p70
Presents a guide for purchasing leather boots. Salomon Authentic 5 boots; The lowdown on light leather boots; Fit; Upper design; Sole design; Stability; Durability; Overall impression; One Sport Tarn; Vasque Newbrier; Tecnica Acadia GTX; More.
- A weather-worthy tent. Trepanowski, Sally; Jenkins, Mark // Backpacker;May93, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p88
Offers several tips for outfitting your hike. Quest Preying Mantis tent; Hat For All Seasons; Minibinoculars; Rite in the Rain notebook; Gear corner; Contact points.
- The 10 essentials. Dorn, Jonathan // Backpacker;May97, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p38
Presents the ten essential tools needed by the mountaineers during hiking. Views of Marc Kopeikin of American Alpine Institute and Kelly Turner regarding the importance of each equipment; How to use them properly and why they belong in every pack.
- The 5-day pack test. Jenkins, Mark // Backpacker;May97, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p94
Reports about the 5-day pack test of some internal frames by Backpacker magazine. People who are involved in the pack test; Descriptions, advantages and disadvantages of the gears; Comments and recommendations of the people who tested the gears during the 5-day pack test. INSETS: Field..., by...
- A tent for stargazers. Dorn, Jonathan; Harlin, John // Backpacker;May97, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p118
Presents the Mountain Hardware Skylight tent and the K2 Short Loadmaster packbag. Descriptions of the tent and packbag; Advantages and disadvantages of the gears; Comments of the authors about the gears.
- Neat and clean. Hostetter, Kristin // Backpacker;May97, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p126
Presents tips on how to make hiking gears and apparatus last longer and perform better after hiking. Purpose of post-trip unpacking checklist; Techniques in preserving and cleaning the tents, sleeping bags, self-inflating sleeping bags, boots, knives, pack and clothing; Natural, inexpensive and...