Teen says shooting straightened him out
- The case for empowering women. Frey, Rod // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/15/93, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p14
Discusses that new laws are needed to deal with the recent numbers of `stalkers' targeting women, but critics contend women will never be safe until they are allowed to protect themselves. Case of Andrew Joseph Ducharme who killed the woman he was stalking, her husband and himself; Uselessness...
- Parole board hearing of a different sort. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/15/93, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p43
Reports members of the Commons justice committee announced last week that they will conduct public hearings into the parole of Jerry Crews and Albert Foulston, the pair convicted of killing Edmonton policeman Ezio Faraone. Robert Leech had served 20 years of a life sentence he received in 1972...
- The golf cart capture. Fuller, Patty // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;6/21/93, Vol. 20 Issue 27, p20
Describes the chase across backyard fences and the Earl Grey golf course by Constable Brian Harrop before he apprehended a 21-year-old suspect of a break-in in a southwest Calgary neighborhood. The suspect had been arrested and convicted last October following 17 incidents of breaking and...
- Foothills residents won't play the game. Waxman, Lionel // Inside Tucson Business;12/30/2002, Vol. 12 Issue 30, p5
Comments on the refusal of residents of the foothills district of Tucson, Arizona to be intimidated by criminals. Intimidation of the would-be felons; Ignorance of the protocol in committing crimes.
- Tangling with criminals. Parmet, Sharon; Stover, Dawn // Popular Science;Dec97, Vol. 251 Issue 6, p22
Looks at the Nonlethal Entanglement Technology system developed to immobilize criminals. The web-slinging capabilities of the launchable net; The way the system works.
- The line. Fowler, E. // Texas Monthly;Dec88, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p130
When someone is serving time, their friends and families serve time with them on visiting days.
- Love bandit. Benedek, Emily // Redbook;Aug92, Vol. 179 Issue 4, p98
Covers the area of the love bandit, a man alternately known as Mark Lansom, Randy Fuchs and Randy Fox. He's conned several women in the Midwest out of thousands of dollars by pretending to fall in love with them.
- Understanding and sanctioning the white collar offender. Rackmill, Stephen J. // Federal Probation;Jun92, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p26
Defines white collar crime, discusses elements common to such crimes, and explains who the victims are and how white collar offenders have been regarded by society and the judicial system. Occupational versus organizational crime; The Sentencing Reform Act of 1984; More.
- Reflections of a former corrections director: Are offenders tougher today? Dickey, Walter J. // Federal Probation;Jun92, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p39
Discusses the descriptions of four offenders, along with the chaotic or impoverished households they live in, and learns from correctional staff that although the more dangerous, `high risk' offenders are a growing minority of the caseload, there are a number of reasons why their presence is...