Finding old-fashioned tools and household items
- Corporate hype is number one! Sillars, Les // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/16/94, Vol. 21 Issue 22, p19
Tells how Toronto-based Aikenhead's Home Improvement Warehouse, which was purchased in March 1994 by American Home Depot Inc., is successfully using the Wal-Mart method of staffing megastores with employees chock-full of enthusiasm cultivated at morning rallies. Alex Scott, manager of Calgary's...
- Welsh firm resurgent. // Builders Merchants Journal;Jul95, p6
Presents news items on builders merchants in Great Britain. Takeover by Bill Preece and Raymond Matthews of J. Richards & Son, which went into receivership; Servicing carried out by plumbing and heating merchants CHS of Cardiff, Wales despite the closure of their original premises in the city.
- Finger on the pulse. // Builders Merchants Journal;Jul95, p50
Reports on the expectation of the securities industry of the merchant sector or Great Britain's hardware store chains. Boosting net margins through collect sales; Negotiation of large sales; Threats posed to builders merchants traditional markets by do-it-yourself companies; Order of gross margin.
- The retail counter--serving the customer right! // Builders Merchants Journal;Jul95, p53
Discusses how builders merchants can make the most of their retail counter and sales activities. Need to ensure that the staff have easy and rapid access to all information on product and pricing; Cross-selling; Telephone marketing.
- Top 10 home centers. // PHC Profit Report;7/01/96, Vol. 4 Issue 13, p5
Presents the top ten hardware stores in the United States as of July 1, 1996. Names of companies; 1995 revenues.
- Home centers. // Chain Store Age Executive with Shopping Center Age;Dec94, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p10
Focuses on developments concerning home centers as of December 1994. Includes The Home Depot's Expo unit in Westbury, N.Y.; Chandler Lumber's closure; Monty Reese as senior vice president-advertising and marketing for Home Quarters Warehouse; EOS Partners' acquisition of Rickel and Channel Home...
- Nailing down merger to rival Home Depot. Walsh, Mark // Crain's New York Business;12/23/96, Vol. 12 Issue 52, p4
Looks at how Home Depot Incorporated's opening of a store in New Rochelle, New York, affected hardware dealers in New York City. Comments from Ira Rosenberg, an owner of Butler Lumber Company; Citing of the merger between Cotter & Company's True Value hardware stores, and ServiStar Coast to...
- What you want before you know you want it. Freedman, David H. // Inc.;Jul97, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p58
Investigates what makes Harvey's Hardware in Needham, Massachusetts so successful. The favorable public opinion of the store; The question as to how Harvey's can thrive for decades while consistently flouting some of the most sacred rules of retail; The large amount of inventory; The great...
- Home centers. // Chain Store Age Executive with Shopping Center Age;Jan1995, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p14
Reports on developments in home centers. Includes the replacement of Thomas R. Schwarz by Robert K. Swanson as chairman of Grossman; Development of Beaver Lumber's parent firm as a public company; Filing of discrimination charges against Hechinger.