TITLE

No purpose in dying

PUB. DATE
March 1993
SOURCE
U.S. News & World Report;3/8/93, Vol. 114 Issue 9, p72
SOURCE TYPE
Periodical
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Addresses the question of why evolution would allow organisms to pass along genes that doom them to dotage. Darwin's theory of natural selection; How species can evolve to live longer; A discovery made in the wild by Steven Austad of the University of Idaho that validates the evolutionary theory of aging; How evolutionary forces affect human longevity.
ACCESSION #
9303040411

 

Related Articles

  • Sperm DNA Double-Strand Breaks Increase and Apoptosis Decrease With Age.  // Fertility Weekly;12/15/2003, p3 

    Discusses an abstract of the study "Effects of Age on DNA Double-Strand Breaks and Apoptosis in Human Sperm," by Narendra P. Singh and colleagues, published in the December 2003 issue of "Fertility and Sterility".

  • Tools for aging research. McCormick, Anna M. // Generations;Fall/Winter92, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p15 

    Explains the four tools required to study the cellular function of genes differentially expressed as a function of age and to determine their roles in aging. Role of genetics in longevity; Model systems developed for investigating the genetic and molecular bases of aging; Experimental...

  • Introduction to Special Issue on Aging. Harris, Jennifer R. // Behavior Genetics;Mar2003, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p79 

    Introduces articles contained in the special issue on aging of the journal 'Behavior Genetics.' Presentation of the papers in the exploratory workshop organized by the Behavioral and Social Research Program of the National Institute on Aging; Occasion-specific and general effects for depressive...

  • ABSTRACTS.  // Gerontologist;Oct2000 Special Issue, Vol. 40, p338 

    Presents a summary of a symposium about genes and human longevity.

  • YOU'RE NOT GETTING OLDER, JUST YOUR DNA. Hirshberg, Charles; Sinha, Gunjan // Popular Science;Aug2002, Vol. 261 Issue 2, p44 

    Discusses a theory on the role of an individual's DNA in the aging process. Information on chemicals that damage one's genes; Claims of scientists regarding the effect of DNA damage on physical aging; Details of a related study conducted by a group of Dutch researchers.

  • Overactive genes and aging. Dunkin, Mary Anne // Arthritis Today;Jan/Feb92, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p9 

    Reports on the new insights into some common diseases of older people gained through the study of the mechanisms of a rare aging disease. Findings; Werner's syndrome; Main feature of aging; Present studies.

  • all about DNA & Ageing.  // Good Health (Australia Edition);Sep2011, p142 

    The article offers information on the genetic aspects of ageing.

  • Vicious circles. Cohen, Philip // New Scientist;01/03/98, Vol. 157 Issue 2115, p6 

    Focuses on the discovery by scientists that natural gene circles cause single-celled yeast to die, and looks at the implications of this to humans. Information on research conducted by Leonard Guarente of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; How these gene circles cause this phenomenon.

  • 30% heredity, 70% environment. Griva, Ven // East Bernard Express (TX);5/10/2007, Vol. 64 Issue 19, p5 

    The article discusses a Boston University study which shows that about 30% of the aging process is determined by heredity, while lifestyle and environmental factors determine the remaining 70%.

Share

Read the Article

Other Topics