Pygmy + Nubian = Kinder
- Backyard goatherding. Luttmann, G. // Country Journal;Nov88, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p52
Discusses dairy goats which are colorful, companionable animals. Easy to care for, they supply delicious milk. Different breeds; Goat fencing; Shelter; Selecting a goat; Dairy character; Feeding; Keeping. INSET: No nonsense kidding.;References..
- A boy and his goat. O'Gara, G. // Sierra;Jul/Aug91, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p42
Reflects on the author's hike into Slough Creek Basin in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming using pack goats. His four-year-old son's interaction with the goats; Advantages of goats over horses, llamas; Anti-goat prejudice through the years; Goats' internal organization; Personalities;...
- What I owe to goat. Carter IV, H. // Esquire;Aug90, Vol. 114 Issue 2, p44
Examines goat meat and the increase in consumption of this specialty. Comparison of fat, cholesterol, and sodium of goat; Taste; Recipe; Author's first experience tasting goat.
- Getting your goat. Damerow, Gail // Mother Earth News;Jun/Jul92, Issue 132, p40
Discusses different economical and low-maintenance additions you can make to the backyard. Getting started; Home sweet goat home; Feeding; Health care; African Pygmies are perfect for pint-sized goatkeepers; More. INSET: Mother's guide to goats (provides a guide from `Mother Earth....
- Dairy goats. Murrow, Liza Ketchum // Country Journal;May/Jun94, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p43
Gives tips in raising dairy goats. Breeds of dairy goats; Availability of a purebred or grade doe; Preparation for the goats' barn; Importance of companionship for goats; Food requirements of goats; Breeding; Benefits from raising goats; List of books on raising goats.
- Home after the holidays. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;1/13/97, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p42
Announces that Wrong-Way, the mountain goat found in the unusual habitat of Westaskiwin, has begun the journey home. The spotting of Wrong-Way at Alder Flats; Plans for the mountain goat should he not return home by spring.
- Hot investment tip. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p38
Advises on the wisdom of investing in a milk goat.
- Miracles from Michigan. Graham, Lori // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p22
Relates how the author got herself two goats because of her article on homesteading in `Countryside and Small Stock' journal. Effect of a message from Leah Ickikawa from Stockbridge, Michigan; Mission of Leah to get the author a goat; Gratitude for all the trouble, hard work, time and expense...
- The Saanen. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Jul/Aug90, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p35
Describes the Saanen, one of the most popular and productive breeds of goat in the United States. Popularity; Background; Distinguishing traits.
- Feed sunflowers seeds to guard against enterotoxemia? Hunter, J. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;May/Jun91, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p22
Contends that sunflower seeds are worth the cost to prevent acidosis and enterotoxemia in goats. If this strategy is used, the author contends that there would be no need to have to resort to twice yearly vaccinations. How conditions occur; Why sunflower seeds work so well.