Sales spark may be out for nicotine patches
- Anti-smoking patches may soon sell over-the-counter. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Apr95, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p8
Reports on drug companies' sale of over-the-counter smoking patches. Ciba-Geigy's marketing of Habitrol patch; Marion Merrell Dow's plan to seek Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approval for non-prescription sales of related product; Other companies that plan to market over-the-counter smoking...
- Effectiveness of a nicotine patch in helping people stop smoking: results of a randomised trial in general practice. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);5/15/93, Vol. 306 Issue 6888, p1304
Assesses effectiveness of nicotine patch on helping people stop smoking. Value of support booklet about smoking cessation; Comparison on efficacy between patch and advice pamphlet; Importance of nursing support on effectiveness of treatment.
- Targeting heavy smokers in general practice: randomised controlled trial of transdermal nicotine patches. Russell, M.A.H.; Stapleton, J.A.; Feyerabend, C.; Wiseman, S.M.; Gustavsson, G.; Sawe, U.; Connor, P. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);5/15/93, Vol. 306 Issue 6888, p1308
Evaluates efficacy of transdermal nicotine patches as aid to stopping smoking. Effect of nicotine patch dosage increase on rate of initial cessation; Impact of patches on reducing craving and adverse mood changes; Assessment on systemic effects attributable to nicotine.
- NICOTINE REPLACEMENT FOR OLDER SMOKERS: FINAL RESULTS AFTER 1-YEAR OF FOLLOW-UP. Garvey, A. J.; Kinnunen, T.; Vokonas, P. S. // Gerontologist;Oct1996 Supplement, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p21
Loss of tolerance for nicotine is thought to occur with aging, but 15% of older smokers still continue to smoke cigarettes. A greater degree of nicotine replacement has been found recently to help smokers quit, especially more nicotine-dependent smokers, but an issue is whether greater nicotine...
- Study doubts long-term punch of NRTs. Arnold, Matthew // Medical Marketing & Media;Feb2012, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p12
The article reports on a study conducted to adult smokers in Massachusetts which doubts the effectiveness of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in preventing relapses among smoke quitters.
- Evaluation of the information processing and mood effects of a transdermal nicotine patch. Warburton, D. M.; Mancuso, Giovanna // Psychopharmacology;1998, Vol. 135 Issue 3, p305
Abstract The purpose of this study was to determine whether a transdermal nicotine patch will produce the same effects on performance and mood as cigarette smoking. The nicotine patch improved attentional processing and produced some improvements in memory. It produced the calming effects of...
- A comparison of the abuse liability and dependence potential of nicotine patch, gum, spray and inhaler. West, R.; Hajek, Peter; Foulds, Jonathan; Nilsson, Fredrik; May, Sylvia; Meadows, Anna // Psychopharmacology;2000, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p198
Abstract Rationale: Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in varying forms is becoming widely used. Clinicians, therapists and regulatory authorities are interested in the abuse liability and dependence potential of the different forms. Objectives: To compare the abuse liability and dependence...
- Nicotine patch may improve cognitive function. // Clinical Advisor;Feb2012, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p19
The article offers information on the research which reveals that the efficacy of transdermal nicotine that is administered to nonsmokers with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) in improving the cognitive performance of people who undergo smoking cessation and with Alzheimer disease.
- Blocking satisfaction. Portyansky, Elena // Drug Topics;4/21/97, Vol. 141 Issue 8, p39
Describes a nicotine/mecamylamine transdermal smoking cessation product from Sano Corp. Effectiveness of the patch in diminishing satisfaction from cigarettes; Reduction of the craving for cigarettes.