Finding BGA Opens in Production
- Study of Low-Temperature Thermocompression Bonding in Ag-In Solder for Packaging Applications. Made, Riko I.; Gan, Chee Lip; Yan, Li Ling; Aibin Yu; Yoon, Seung Wook; Lau, John H.; Chengkuo Lee // Journal of Electronic Materials;Feb2009, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p365
Low-temperature solders have wide applications in integrated circuits and micro-electromechanical systems packaging. In this article, a study on Ag-In solder for chip-to-chip thermocompression bonding was carried out. The resulting joint consists of AgIn2 and Ag9In4 phases, with the latter phase...
- CONNECTORS. // Electronic Design;1/7/2002, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p90
Reports developments related to microelectronic packaging as of January 2002. Innovations in power connectors; Changes in backplanes to increase capacity; Advancement of board-level interconnections.
- Solder Tip Damage. HUNT, CHRIS // Printed Circuit Design & Fab: Circuits Assembly;Apr2012, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p55
The article offers information on the damaging effects of the poor use of soldering iron on integrated circuits.
- Probes Connect As Geometries Shrink and Speeds Increase. Loberg, Chris // ECN: Electronic Component News;Jul2011, Vol. 55 Issue 8, p22
The article discusses the proper approach to solder integrated circuit (IC) pins to multiple locations.
- Design and Process of 3D MEMS System-in-Package (SiP). Lau, John H. // Journal of Microelectronic & Electronic Packaging;2010 1st Quarter, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p10
The design and assembly process of 10 different 3D MEMS packages will be presented and discussed in this study. These 3D MEMS packages integrate the MEMS devices from the MEMS wafer (with either wirebonding pads, or solder-bumped TSV, through silicon via, substrate, or solder-bumped flip chip...
- Selective Soldering for High-Volume Assembly. Grimard, Frank // Circuits Assembly;Oct2007, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p38
The article discusses an alternative form of selective soldering, known as multiwave soldering, developed by Creation Technologies, formerly SMC. In most cases, multiwave soldering outperforms the speed of traditional solder waves through fluxing, preheating and use of soldering boards in...
- Validating Press-Fit Connector Installation. Parenti, Dante; Mitchell, Jack // Circuits Assembly;Apr2003, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p26
The combination of press-fit pins and servo-electric presses provide a powerful technique for automating and verifying the integrity of board-to-board connector installations. Press-fit connectors have begun to dominate high-end connector applications for telecommunications and computer printed...
- Impression Creep Characterization of 90Pb-10Sn Microelectronic Solder Balls at Subsolvus and Supersolvus Temperatures. Pan, D.; Dutta, I.; Jadhav, S. G.; Raiser, G. F.; Ma, S. // Journal of Electronic Materials;Jul2005, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p1040
The creep behavior of Pb-10wt.%Sn, a common high-lead solder used in microelectronic packaging, was studied by impression creep testing of ball-grid-array (BGA) solder balls attached to an organic substrate, both above and below the solvus temperature (408 K). Below the solvus temperature, the...
- Cost and performance will drive convergence. Belani, Jack // Solid State Technology;Dec2002, Vol. 45 Issue 12, pS8
Highlights the importance of convergence and cooperation among chip and microelectronic package designers and engineers. Integrated device manufacturing; Cost and performance of chip and package design; Performance of the electronic system; Wafers and package designs.