On the relationship between reading, listening, and speaking: It's different for people's names
- Exemplar similarity and the development of automaticity. Palmeri, Thomas J. // Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory & Cognition;Mar1997, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p324
Investigates the effects of exemplar similarity on the development of automaticity in an experiment where participants judged the numerosity of random patterns of between six and eleven dots. Within-category similarity; Between-category similarity; Logan's instance theory of automaticity;...
- Optimal data selection in the reduced array selection task (RAST). Oaksford, Mike; Chater, Nick // Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory & Cognition;Mar1997, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p441
Examines the predictions of M. Oaksford and N. Chater's optimal data selection (ODS) model for the reduced array selection task (RAST). Variation in selections; Controlled possibility of outcome; Control over medium condition.
- Developmental change and individual differences: A longitudinal study using Piagetian tasks. de Ribaupierre, Anik; Rieben, Laurence // Genetic, Social & General Psychology Monographs;Aug91, Vol. 117 Issue 3, p285
Focuses on individual differences in cognitive development through the use of Piagetian tasks. Features of the rationalist-structuralist approach; Features of the Piagetian tasks used in the study; Implications of the study on the notion of unidimensionality of development.
- Text representations as reflected in patterns of cognitive distance. Dopkins, Stephen // Memory & Cognition;Jan97, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p72
Presents a study on text representations as reflected in patterns of cognitive distance. Use of the principle of argument and causal coherence; Presence of network connections in memory representations of the text; Description of network connection; Description of location code.
- New Research on Limited Cognitive Capacity: Effects of Arousal, Mood and Modality. Tavassoli, Nader T. // Advances in Consumer Research;1995, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p524
Summarizes the contents of a special topic session on limited cognitive capacity. Papers presented by Michael Tuan Pham; Angela Lee; Nader Tavassoli.
- Need for cognition and irrational beliefs. Mahoney, John M.; Kaufman, Douglas // Psychological Reports;Oct97, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p685
Presents a study which looks at irrationality and the tendency to engage in effortful cognitive activity. Reference to other materials; Detailed information on the methodology used to conduct the study; Discussion based on the results of the study.
- GRASPING AT STRAWS. L. G. // Psychology Today;Dec2012, Vol. 45 Issue 6, p22
The article explains several complex ideas and the ways people think about them.
- A study of cognitive loading in dual-coding theory. Ishii, Harue; Yamauchi, Hirotsugu // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Aug94, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p458
Presents a study of cognitive loading in dual-coding theory. Simultaneous presentation of word and picture in memory tests; Reference to the Dual-coding Theory by A. Paivio.
- Effect of task demand and stimulus relevance on preattentive processing. Schweizer, Karl // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Jun95, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p1123
Investigates the influence of cognitively controlled processing on preattentive processing. Comparison of preattentive processing associated with a discrimination task with that associated with a reaction task; Effects of different amounts of stimulus relevance on preattentive processing; Use...