Between the Law and a Hard Place
- Ballot measures. // State Government News;Oct97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p18
Reports that voters will go to the polls in September 1997 to decide whether the West Virginia state government should be allowed to invest state or public funds in stocks. Other ballot measures under consideration include the legalization of marijuana's medical use in Oregon and a forest...
- West Virginia gets good rate in infrastructure sale; last deal for a while? Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;02/27/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30340, p50
Reports that the West Virginia state government has sold $92 million in infrastructure municipal bonds in competitive bidding on February 26, 1998. First Union Capital Markets Inc.'s winning of one of the three sets of bonds; Taxable bonds won by Prudential Securities Inc.; Ratings;...
- GOVERNMENT BRIEFS. // State Journal (WV);11/8/2013, Vol. 29 Issue 44, p3
The article reports on the decline in the tax revenue of West Virginia in 2013, along with the statement of Deputy Revenue Secretary Mark Muchow regarding the collections of taxes, including personal, consumer, and occupation taxes, which are all below estimates.
- Governor, officials at odds over pension fund loan. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;08/13/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30456, p4
Reports on West Virginia Governor Cecil Underwood's conflict with state Treasurer John Purdue and state Auditor Glen B. Gainer over the funding scheme for new prisons. Objections raised by Purdue and Gainer; Plan of Underwood to borrow from state employees pension fund; Supreme Court of...
- Historic Landmark on Auction Block This Week. SORAH, ANNETTE // State Journal (WV);11/13/2015, Vol. 31 Issue 45, p18
No abstract available.
- Untitled. // Education Week;8/4/93, Vol. 12 Issue 40, p33
Summarizes final action by legislatures on education-related issues. California; Indiana; Maine; Minnesota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Pennsylvania; Vermont; West Virginia; Governor; FY 01994 state budget; K-12 budget for FY 1994 and 1993; Percent change in K-12 budget; Highlights.
- Illinois. Baar, Aaron; Williamson, Tammy // Bond Buyer;09/03/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30222, p26
Presents news items about public finance in Illinois. Includes financing for the new stadium of the Chicago Bears football team; Possibility of refinancing the state's $117.1 million certificate of participation; Bond float planned for the Chicago Public Schools Reform Board of Trustees.
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Newman, Emily; Barnett, Chip // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p2
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of January 9, 2003. Report by the Federal Reserve regarding borrowing by Americans; Promissory notes sold by the Treasury Department; Announcement by the New York City comptroller regarding a conference.
- SOUTHEAST Bond-Watch. Sigo, Shelly; DeSue, Tedra; Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p25
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of January 9, 2003. Sale of bonds by the South Broward Hospital District is being reported; Referendums by two states in the east coast of the U.S. predicted; Announcement by the Virginia Housing Development Authority.