An Education Wish List With a Multibillion-Dollar Bill Attached
- Republicans at the Trough. Bridges, Tyler // Washington Monthly;Oct98, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p22
Discusses the `pork' or `turkeys' projects of politicians that get funded because of their political clout or as a political reward. Why Republicans like to spend money as much as Democrats; Other states that use pork to maintain their political ties; Beneficiaries of turkeys; Programs that...
- Florida Sets $149 Million Refunding for Preservation Program. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;2/3/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31813, p28
Reports that the state of Florida is preparing for a bond sale to refinance debt sold for the state's Preservation 2000 Program. Intention of refunding the Series 1996A Preservation 2000 revenue bonds through the Series 2004A bonds; Adviser for the said financial transaction; Amount of...
- Reclaiming a bigger slice. // NEA Today;Apr97, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p10
Reports on the coalition to `Reclaim Education's Share' of the budget, back to 40 percent share of 1980s in Florida. Members of the coalition and its aim.
- Florida's New Budget Earmarks $100 Million of Bonds for Everglades. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/7/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31403, p4
Reports the approval given by Florida Governor Jeb Bush to the 2003 budget. Inclusion of the Everglades restoration bond finance program on the budget; Total budget for the restoration of Everglades; Annual funding for land preservation bond programs.
- Florida agrees on cuts. // State Government News;Jan2002, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p8
Reports on the decision of the Florida Legislature on December 6, 2001 to approve the budget cuts needed to balance the 2002 state budget. Amount of the budget cut; Decision of the Legislature to delay a tax cut for investors until 2004; Reason for the decline in state revenues in 2001.
- N.J. jumps on rail after Fla. passes the buck. Arney, Joe // njbiz;3/21/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p10
The article reports that Florida Governor Rick Scott turned down the 2.4-billion-dollar stimulus funding for high-speed passenger rail.
- Report: Floridians Spent $66 Billion On Personal Health Care in 1999. // Best's Review;Aug2001, Vol. 102 Issue 4, p19
Reports increase in the personal health-care expenditures in Florida. Trends in health-care expenditures from year 1992 to 1999; Impact of the number of elderly residents and Medicare beneficiaries on health-care costs; Comparison of the expenditure of Florida with the other states.
- Marketing the Sunshine State. Medina, Kerry // Travel Agent;10/8/2001, Vol. 305 Issue 11, p42
Details the impact of terrorist attacks on the tourist trade in Florida. Reduction of cruise ship passengers; Plan of urging residents to vacation locally; Revision of state budget.
- Jacksonville wins dredged disposal funding. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Mar1999, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p3
Focuses on the 1999 federal funding for the Jacksonville Port Authority in Florida to increase its dredged disposal capacity. Source of fund; Benefit of the project.