One State's Mantra: Let's Tap Rainy-Day Fund
- Ala. Court Sides Against Schools in Fight Over Aid Cuts. Robelen, Erik W.; Sandham, Jessica L. // Education Week;7/11/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 42, p23
Reports on the Alabama Supreme Court's ruling which obliges public schools to share the burden of state budget cuts whenever state revenues fall short. Criticisms against the rule by public school advocates; Negative impact of the ruling on public schools; Estimated percent cuts that will be...
- Lawmaker Urges Alabama Not To Spend All Its Tobacco Money. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;4/11/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31613, p4
Alabama's congress representative Gerald Allen has urged the state to stop spending all the national tobacco settlement proceeds it receives each year. A bill Allen is sponsoring in the Legislature would create a trust fund to reinvest some of the state's proceeds under the Master Settlement...
- Governor: Alabama Facing Nearly $1 Billion Deficit. Sigo, Shelly // Bondbuyer.com;12/1/2014, p1
Alabama is facing a budget shortfall that could reach nearly $1 billion in the next few years, according to Gov. Robert Bentley.
- Alabama Governor Vetoes State Budget. Sigo, Shelly // Bondbuyer.com;6/8/2015, p28
The article reports that Alabama Governor Robert Bentley has vetoed the general fund budget of the state for 2016, asserting that the spending plan will result in significant reduction in government services. Topics discussed include the amount of reduction in spending incorporated in the budget...
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Newman, Emily; Barnett, Chip // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p2
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of January 9, 2003. Report by the Federal Reserve regarding borrowing by Americans; Promissory notes sold by the Treasury Department; Announcement by the New York City comptroller regarding a conference.
- SOUTHEAST Bond-Watch. Sigo, Shelly; DeSue, Tedra; Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;1/9/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31549, p25
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of January 9, 2003. Sale of bonds by the South Broward Hospital District is being reported; Referendums by two states in the east coast of the U.S. predicted; Announcement by the Virginia Housing Development Authority.
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Bond Buyer;1/23/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31558, p2
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of January 23, 2003. Denial of reports by Minneapolis, Minnesota-based U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray regarding negotiations to sell its brokerage arm; Predictions by American Bankers Association Economic Advisory Committee...
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Albanese, Elizabeth; Newman, Emily; Siegel, Gary E. // Bond Buyer;2/6/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31568, p2
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of February 6, 2003. Impact of the opening of an automotive plant by the Japanese automobile company Toyota Motor Corp., on the economy of Texas; Announcement regarding auction of treasury bills in Washington; Business...
- THE TRADING FLOOR. Smith, Aaron T.; Walker, Susanne // Bond Buyer;2/6/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31568, p29
Presents several news briefs related to public finance in the U.S. as of February 6, 2003. Promotion of Stanislas Rouyer to the post of senior vice president at financial rating agency Moody's Investors Service Inc.; Announcement by the rating agency regarding a change in offices following a...