The $248 Million Social Studies Textbook Adoption In Texas Faces Cuts in Battle Over State Deficit
- Detroit Schools Start Fiscal Year With Deficit That Could Deepen. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;7/1/2010, Vol. 373 Issue 33343, p28
The article reports that public schools in Detroit, Michigan is facing a 363 million dollars structural deficits.
- D.C. discloses $59 million overspending by school system. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/08/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30368, p3
Focuses on the disclosure by Washington, D.C. that the city's public school division may overspend its operating budget by $59 million in the 1998 fiscal year. Memo issued by chief financial officer Anthony Williams to outline his plans to address the budget problem; Cost factors that will...
- MICHIGAN: School-Aid Windfall Seen. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;1/19/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33452, p9
The article reports on the 1.8 billion U.S. dollar fund deficit and 583 million U.S. dollar school-aid fund surplus to be faced by Michigan in 2012.
- Philadelphia Schools Warn City of Spiraling 'Fiscal Crisis.'. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;03/14/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 26, p10
Reports that the Philadelphia school system in Pennsylvania is expecting a multimillion-dollar budget deficit by the end of fiscal 2002. Shortfall expected without additional revenue and dramatic cost reductions; Budget plan for fiscal 2002; Initiatives of the district to cut down on its...
- BUSINESS OF Sports. SAYER, BILL // Central Penn Business Journal;12/7/2012, Vol. 29 Issue 50, p8
The article offers the author's insights regarding the schools in Maryland, including its decision to join the Big Ten conference starting in 2014, the budget deficit experienced by the university's athletics program, and its key sponsors such as Capital One Bank and Under Armor.
- Book Fund Deficit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/25/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31891, p31
Reports that Texas has a $67 million budget deficit for textbooks, according to Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Miscalculation by the state legislature and transportation budget officials of the revenue that would be generated by a new tax law.
- Okla. Governor Vows School Fund Hike Despite Shortfall. Galley, Michelle; Cavanagh, Sean; Keller, Bess; Bowman, Darcia Harris // Education Week;2/19/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 23, p18
Reports on the proposal by the Oklahoma governor Brad Henry to increase education spending by $110 million in fiscal 2004 in spite of a $600 million budget shortfall. Suggestion by Henry for various agencies to implement zero-based budgeting; Controversy that can arise on creating an education...
- Education funding confounds Legislature. Schnitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/7/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p3
Reports on the proposal for school funding in Indiana. Plan of the U.S. Senate to tie school funding directly to pupil headcount; Projected budget deficit without raising taxes; Estimated number of students.
- Budget Cuts Send Mass. Colleges Scrambling for Funds. // Community College Week;2/4/2003, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p11
Reports on budget cuts in Massachusetts public colleges, for their dual enrollment programs as of February 2002. Amount of funding eliminated in November 2001; Schools that lost out on reimbursements; Amount of checks sent by the U.S. Department of Education to 10 of the 27 participating...