Maryland Lawmakers Muddle Through Budget Talks Without Key Slot Plan
- Maryland Governor's Latest Slot Plan Would Restrict Local Governments. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;3/17/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31594, p7
Reports on Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s slot machine proposal. Impact of the proposal on local governments' ability to set up zoning restrictions; criticism of the proposal; Expected amount of total upfront licensing fee to be collected after the implementation of the proposal.
- Maryland Democrats: No Slot Machines to Balance Budget. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;2/6/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31568, p4
Discusses the opposition of Maryland Democrats to governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s proposed gambling revenue to balance the budget of the state. Predictions by the Department of Legislative Services regarding installation of slot machines; Revenue that is expected from slot machines at race...
- Latino America. Chavez Munoz, Ricki // Casino International;Nov2013, p12
An introduction to a series of articles associated to the gaming industry is presented which include the presidential decree that bans slot machines across the country, SAGSE Latin AmÃ©rica in Buenos Aires and the Brasilian Gaming Congress from November 18-20.
- Slot machine ban in pubs boosts business at casinos. // Hungary A.M.;03/25/2013, p3
The article informs that a ban on slot machines in pubs introduced in October 2012 in Hungary has increased visitor numbers and revenue of casinos as of March 2013 where the machines are allowed.
- New slots on the way. DiMeo, Sam // Caribbean Business;6/27/1996, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p4
Reports on the plan of the Puerto Rican government to purchase 1,600 slot machines to replace old ones. Tourism Co. executive director Luis Fortuno's announcement on the government's request for bids; Move as a response to concerns on old machines' contribution to declines in the island's...
- Maryland allots funds for private schools' textbooks. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;1/31/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 13, p6
Announces that the first budget proposal by Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich Jr. will include a multimillion dollar funding to continue a textbook loan program for non-public schools. Use of funding from the state's tobacco settlement in supporting the program.
- Maryland Governor Seeks $3.1 Million to Complete Maglev Impact Study. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;2/10/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31570, p4
Reports that Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. is seeking to allocate $3.1 million in fiscal 2004 budget plan. Reasons behind the allocation; Impact of the allocation on state's budget; Speculation over the implementation of the budget plan.
- River of Dreams. Useem, Jerry // Fortune;10/2/2000, Vol. 142 Issue 7, p226
Focuses on the Two Rivers Resort & Casino in Washington run by the Spokane indians. Location of the resort which makes it difficult for people to come; Plans of the Kalispel tribe to build a casino between Two Rivers and the city of Spokane which could reduce business; Legal problems of the...
- Gaming ruling leaves key issue unresolved. Wells, Ken R. // San Diego Business Journal;8/21/95, Vol. 16 Issue 34, p4
Reports on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' refusal to grant a rehearing of the `Rumsey Rancheria v. Wilson' case asserting that California is not required to negotiate with Native Americans over slot machines. Request by three local Native American bands operating gambling casinos in East...