IRS Expands 6700 Audits
- Republicans ready another probe. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;2/15/97, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p328
Highlights the proposed congressional investigation on taxpayers' complaints of harassment by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by the Senate Finance Committee as of February 15, 1997. Authority of the Rules and Administration Committee; Allegations on the inefficiency of the IRS's computer...
- GOP needs to reframe IRS scandal. HILL, DAVID // Hill;5/22/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 61, p18
The article focuses on the need for the Republicans to reframe the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) scandal over conservative groups' scrutiny for political gains.
- Take it from the top. Goldberg, Fred // Newsweek;10/13/1997, Vol. 130 Issue 15, p38
Considers what must be done for meaningful reform at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Expertise, continuity and accountability in IRS management, governance and oversight; Necessity of simplification of the tax laws; Measurement and reward of fair and reasonable treatment of taxpayers;...
- Murky water. Jaklevic, Mary Chris // Modern Healthcare;2/4/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p8
Reports on the investigation of the investment bank George K. Baum & Co. by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Remarks from Charles Anderson, manager of tax-exempt field operations in the IRS; Amount of bond proceeds in the pooled loan programs that have been borrowed; Hospital...
- IRS expands finance probe to Provena. Jaklevic, Mary Chris // Crain's Chicago Business;08/14/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 34, p68
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service has extended its probe of healthcare acquisition financing deals to some of the bonds issued to launch Provena Health. Review of tax-exempt status; Origin of the firm; Other systems whose bonds are also being investigated.
- Getting a Grip on Grievances. Dean, Joshua // Government Executive;Jan2001, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the United States Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) addition of a computer system to track complaints made by IRS employees. Provision of a reliable, electronic paper trail of grievances; Investigation of complaints; Congressional requirement on the IRS to ensure the security of...
- IRS Steps Up Note Audits. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;03/13/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31095, p1
Reports investigations of the United States Internal Revenue Service on the issuance of three-year tax-exempt notes by school districts. Investment of proceeds from three-year notes in guaranteed investment contracts; Refusal of school districts to rebate arbitrage to the federal government;...
- Muni investors: Don't fiddle while the bond yield burns. Keating, Peter // Money;Apr98, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p58
Discusses the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation into a practice known as yield burning. The federal law stating that municipalities must use money raised through bond sales for public projects, not for arbitrage.
- IRS to Focus on Abusive Deals, Cut Back on Routine Audits. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;10/14/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31739, p1
Reports on the focus in the investigation of abusive tax-exempt bond transactions by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Announcement of the initiative by division director Mark Scott; Reduction in the routine audit efforts of the agency; Reason for the focus of the agency on abusive tax-exempt...