LOOKING UP: THE 'NEW' NEWS
- Waist watchers: Schools get high marks for teaching lessons in health and nutrition. Allen, Robin Lee // Nation's Restaurant News;6/28/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 26, p39
Editorial. Focuses on the growing problem of obesity in the United States and the measures taken by schools to combat obesity among students. Incidence of obesity among children and adolescents in 2000; Changes made by the Texas Department of Agriculture to nutritional requirements for schools...
- School cafeterias selling brand-name junk food: Who deserves a break today? Brockett, Diane // Education Digest;Oct98, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p56
Focuses on the sale of brand-name junk foods in school cafeterias in the United States. School-lunch/fast-food relationship; Success of Taco Bell in the school food service market; Free and reduced-price lunch programs of schools.
- How to Fix School Lunch. Tyre, Peg; Staveley-O'carroll, Sarah // Newsweek;8/8/2005, Vol. 146 Issue 6, p50
This article describes the efforts of some activists and celebrity chefs to improve the food served in school cafeterias in the United States. For Jorge Collazo, executive chef for the New York City public schools, coming up with the perfect jerk sauce is yet another step toward making the 1.1...
- FLUNKING LUNCH. Morse, Jodie; Bower, Amanda; Ellin, Harlene; McDowell, Jeanne; Sieger, Maggie // Time;12/2/2002, Vol. 160 Issue 23, p74
Examines U.S. school cafeterias and questions the foods preparation and nutritional value. Rise in large-scale outbreaks of food poisonings from school meals; Long-term health hazards to children's health; Continued rise in obesity among teenagers; Unclean cooking conditions; Why fast food...
- LOOKING UP: REALITY CHECK. Pond, James // FoodService Director;2/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p26
Comments on the changes in the U.S. school foodservice business since the 1960s. Tendency of children to indulge in sweet food products; Arguments on the sale of carbonated beverages; Contribution of sodas sold in schools to the child obesity epidemic.
- Calidad de la dieta, sobrepeso y obesidad en estudiantes universitarios. Izaga, M. Arroyo; Rocandio Pablo, A. Ma.; Alday, L. Ansotegui; Apalauza, E. Pascual; Beti, I. Salces; Ochoa, E. Rebato // Nutricion Hospitalaria;nov-dic2006, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p673
Objective: To assess diet quality and to examine the association between diet quality and overweight and obesity in a group of university students. Subjects: Our simple consisted of 749 volunteer students of the State University of the Basque Country (68% females and 32% males). Mean age was...
- Chartwells School Dining Services. KRAMER, LOUISE // Nation's Restaurant News;5/7/2007, Vol. 41 Issue 19, p62
The article features the Balanced Choices program of Chartwells School Dining Services, a division of Compass Group headquartered in Rye Brook, New York. According to the article, the school has a mission to help schools serve students healthful, balanced meals in an effort to address childhood...
- Should states ban junk food in schools? Dively, John; Codey, Richard J. // New York Times Upfront;9/19/2005, Vol. 138 Issue 2, p28
Presents the opposing views of New Jersey Acting Governor Richard J. Codey and Illinois Principals Association executive director John Dively on banning junk foods in school vending machines and cafeterias in the U.S. Importance of healthy eating habits to the prevention of obesity in children...
- SOUP it up! // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p55
Reports on the popularity of soup among meal producers and consumers in the U.S. Variety of soup offered at Fairport Central School in New York; Favorite soup of students; Comments from Steve Myers, executive chef at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.