PURSUING TOLERANCE: CA considers vegan sch. lunch
- Baltimore Schools Serve Healthier Food. Rowland, Sebastian // Penn Bioethics Journal;Spring2010, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p3
The article reports on the move of Baltimore County Public Schools to participate in Meatless Mondays, serving vegetarian meals once a week, in Maryland on September 21, 2011.
- Florida Schools Introduce Vegan Options. // Good Medicine;Spring2008, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p13
The article focuses on the testing of vegetarian food at three schools in Broward County, Florida in March 2008. It is part of an effort by Boward County Public Schools to serve more healthful food. Student Ashley Capps started the veggie initiative by circulating a petition signed by her...
- A Meatless Menu for Kids. // Hinduism Today;Oct-Dec2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p7
The article reports on the introduction of vegetarian lunches at the Active Learning Elementary School in Flushing, New York City in January 2013.
- ESTABLISHING GUIDELINES FOR VEGGIE LUNCHES IN SCHOOLS. Gorn, Heather // Vegetarian Journal;2004, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p35
Focuses on the work of Project Healthy Beginnings, a group of parents in the San Diego, California, area that has worked to incorporate vegetarian and vegan alternatives into the school lunch menu. Group's effort to secure support for the Assembly Concurrent Resolution No. 16, which requests...
- School House Brocs. WARD, KATHERINE // New York;5/13/2013, Vol. 46 Issue 15, p14
Several photographs of lunches at P.S. 244, the first all-vegetarian public school in the U.S., are presented, which includes Spinach Wrap, Cheesy Baked Rotini and Oven-Baked Pizza Bagel.
- PCRM and Wyntergrace Williams Help Students Get Healthy. // Good Medicine;Winter2009, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p10
The article focuses on the cooperation between Wyntergrace Williams, daughter of television show host Montel Williams, and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) to raise the awareness of vegetarian diets among students in the U.S. Williams, a middle school student in...
- Child Nutrition Act: Time for Reform. // Good Medicine;Winter2009, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p10
The article focuses on reforms for the Child Nutrition Act. The legislation, which will undergo reauthorization in 2009, determines the type of foods to be served in the National School Lunch Program. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is working on initiatives to ensure...
- Virginia Student Transforms School Lunch Menu--and Her Mother's Health. // Good Medicine;Spring2009, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p8
The article deals with the efforts of Nina Gonzales, a junior at Stafford High School in Falmouth, Virginia, to introduce vegetarian meals in the school and to her family. She met with the school's nutrition director to present her ideas and the school recognized that students wanted healthy...
- School lunches are getting more healthful, report says. Kennedy, Mike // American School & University Exclusive Insight;10/19/2012, p9
The article focuses on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's 2012 School Lunch Report Card, which found that the school lunch program in the Pinellas County, Florida school district earned a 100 percent score for providing students with a healthful and nutritional meal. The...