A peripheral benefit
- Beauty salon stroke syndrome. // HealthFacts;May93, Vol. 18 Issue 168, p5
Cautions older people to avoid circumstances that require head-hanging for extended periods and that the neck not be arched backward or twisted more than fifteen degrees. Published cases of death due to backward tilting of head; Atherosclerosis.
- Put more focus on risk reduction for your heart disease patients. // Modern Medicine;Jan96, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p34
Summarizes the American Heart Association (AHA) President Sidney Smith Jr.'s speech at the AHA scientific session in November 1995 emphasizing the need to focus on risk reduction for patients with cardiovascular disease. Importance of comprehensive risk-reduction strategies; Disadvantage of...
- Using cuffs to prevent clots. Carroll, Patricia; Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Apr92, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p57
Offers a look at pulmonary embolism and prevention of deep vein thrombosis. External pneumatic compression (EPC) and how it works; When and how to initiate treatment; Initiating therapy the night before surgery; Disconnecting the pump tubing; Cuffs; Documenting the use of external pneumatic...
- Leg crossing can prevent postural dizziness. Wolfe, Suzanne; Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Mar93, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p19
Reports on avoidance of dizziness on patients with orthostatic hypotension by leg crossing. Lancet notes report; Other techniques to improve venous return; Seek to increase cerebral blood flow.
- JBS set to. swap 10-year CVD risk score for lifetime, risk. Legge, Adam // Pulse;4/21/2010, Vol. 70 Issue 13, p9
The article reports on the development of JBS3, the revision of Joint British Societies guidance on the prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD), to switch 10-year CVD risk score for lifetime risk in Great Britain.
- Lessons from TOMHS research. Flack, John M. // Obesity & Health;Nov/Dec92, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p106
Discusses the lifestyle intervention program by the Treatment of Mild Hypertension Study (TOMHS). Benefits of the program; Risk factors for a variety of cardiovascular diseases; Goals of nondrug intervention; Solutions.
- AHA update debunks cardiovascular disease myths. // New York Amsterdam News;02/08/97, Vol. 88 Issue 6, p14
Focuses on some of the myths that relate to heart disease and strokes which were released in the American Heart Association's 1997 Heart and Stroke Statistical Update. Claims that the myths influence how the nation allocates resources for research public education programs; Estimated number of...
- Bill would broaden women's cardiovascular disease... // Nation's Health;Aug97, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p6
Provides information on the bill that increase federal resources for research and prevention of cardiovascular disease in women. Sponsor of the bill; Budget for the proposal; Statistics on cardiovascular diseases in United States.
- Blood thinners. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Jan1993, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
Discusses the action and uses of anticoagulants as preventive medication for blood clots. Varicose veins; Heart disease; Irregular heart rate; Artificial heart valves; Heart valve disease; Hardening of the arteries; Inflammation and a clot in a leg vein. INSET: Should you take aspirin if...