In El Salvador, the truth outs
- Portraits of oppression. Zhi, Fang Li; Dicker, Richard // Sciences;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p16
Examines the continued atrocities in China where many Chinese scientists, science students and other thinkers have been imprisoned, blacklisted or otherwise persecuted in the purge of democratic sympathizers. Hunger strike protesting `inhuman persecution' of China's political prisoners at...
- Reflecting on the Jesuit martyrs. Drinan, R.F. // Christian Century;1/3/90 - 1/10/90, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p5
Editorial. Comments on the murder of six Jesuit priests in El Salvador. Why the Jesuits were killed; Governmental reaction; Jesuit reaction.
- One year later. Howard, R.A. // America;11/24/1990, Vol. 163 Issue 16, p401
Looks at the November 16, 1989 murder of six Jesuit priests and two women in El Salvador and the many questions surrounding the killings and an ongoing cover-up. Justice has never been exacted in many other clergy deaths attributed to the military; United States has cut military aid by 50 percent.
- ?Hasta cuando? (How long?). Stahel, T.H. // America;12/1/1990, Vol. 163 Issue 17, p419
Comments on a week-long memorial in November in San Salvador of last year's murder of six Jesuits and two women. Attended by U.S. Ambassador William G. Walker and Martha Doggett of the Lawyers' Committee for Human Rights; Jesuit provincial superior, Jose Maria Tojeira asks when there would be an...
- Of many things. // America;12/12/1992, Vol. 167 Issue 19, p466
Takes a look at the killing of five nuns working in schools, clinics and parishes in Liberia two months ago. Killed by soldiers of the National Patriotic Front. Adorers of the Blood of Christ; From Illinois; Sister Barbara Ann Muttra; Sister Shirley Kolmer; Sister Mary Joel Kolmer; Sister...
- Serbian crimes. // Current Events;2/1/93, Vol. 92 Issue 17, p2
Discusses a United States report protesting Serbian atrocities in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Compares the ethnic cleansing to the atrocities of the Nazis; More.
- Who will investigate atrocities? Barr, Cameron W. // Christian Science Monitor;9/30/99, Vol. 91 Issue 214, p1
Presents evidence of human rights abuses in East Timor and discusses the lack of, and need for, a systematic investigation
- In solidarity with the slain Jesuits of El Salvador. O'Hare, J.A. // America;12/16/1989, Vol. 161 Issue 19, p443
Presents the text of a homily given at a memorial Mass for the six Jesuits slain in El Salvador in November 1989. Commitment to promote justice; Catholic universities; American involvement in El Salvador. Includes letter from Georgetown University President, Leo J. O'Donovan, S.J., to President...
- Blessings. O'Ryan, P.J. // America;1/20/1990, Vol. 162 Issue 2, p47
Analyzes the Scripture readings for the Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time. Jesuits killed in El Salvador; Reversing the order of human importance; Rome's original attitude to the Christians.
- The blood of martyrs: The seed of hope and commitment. Mulligan, J.E. // America;2/17/1990, Vol. 162 Issue 6, p145
Describes the murders of Jesuits at El Salvador's University of Central America. Threats against them; Funeral mass; Statements of support; United States reaction.