The hunks of country
- The fall of country. Patoski, J.N. // Texas Monthly;Oct88, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p120
Discusses how the Nashville music industry sought to make country more appea ling to middle America and in the process diluted the sound. Describes events, in calendar format, from 1970 to 1988.
- The rise of country. Patoski, J.N. // Texas Monthly;Oct88, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p121
Describes how Texas country singers outside the Nashville mainstream, sought to establish their own brand of country music. Includes calendar listing of events from 1972 to 1988.
- Cowboy songs. Dingus, A.; Mantel, R. // Texas Monthly;Nov89, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p120
Describes the purpose and themes of cowboy songs, and lists the words of five, including `A Home on the Range', and `The Dying Cowboy'.
- Nashville's new breed. // Redbook;Jan92, Vol. 178 Issue 3, p53
Reports that country music is now the most popular form in the US. Some of the favorite singers are Garth Brooks, Randy Travis, and George Strait.
- Country. Scherman, Tony // American Heritage;Nov94, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p38
Focuses on country music in America and discusses the history of and the current popularity of this musical genre. The mythology surrounding Ralph S. Peer, Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family and the birth of country music; `Fiddlin' John Carson; Hillbilly recording artists in the twenties;...
- In country. Babini, L. // Esquire;Jul92, Vol. 118 Issue 1, p90
Presents a photographic display of Nashville's biggest acts in their best weekend jackets for fall. Randy Travis, brown suede jacket by Bill Robinson; Hal Ketchum, red doe-skin hunting jacket by Ralph Lauren; Ricky Van Shelton, green quilted suede jacket with leather collar by Krizia Blue;...
- Take your scorn and shove it. Ivins, Molly // Indianapolis Business Journal;2/3/97, Vol. 17 Issue 47, p13B
Opinion. Presents author's views about country-music. Country music as a counterflow in the 1960s; Country music's portrayal of women as either saints or slut; Themes of country music.
- Wilson, Maher depart labels; jukebox users select country. Flippo, Chet // Billboard;11/02/96, Vol. 108 Issue 44, p32
Presents November 1996 news briefs about the United States country music industry. Walt Wilson's leaving as executive vice president and general manager at Capitol Nashville; Brent Maher's resignation as president of Magnatone Records; Garth Brooks as cracking the Top 40 Jukebox Singles of All...
- Country singles a-z. // Billboard;11/02/96, Vol. 108 Issue 44, p34
Presents an alphabetical listing of the 75 country music singles which are on `Billboard' magazine's chart of the country music recordings which received the most radio airplay for the week of November 2, 1996. Song title; Publishers; Performance rights; Sheet music.
- Capitol has its eyes on Was; Cash gets reaction after putting finger on problem. Flippo, Chet // Billboard;04/04/98, Vol. 110 Issue 14, p20
Presents news related to country music. The talks between Pat Quigley, president/CEO of Capitol Nashville and producer/artist Don Was about an A&R job for Was at the label; Garth Brooks' recording of a Bob Dylan song from the Capitol soundtrack to `Hope Floats'; The controversy surrounding...