Drought and desperation
- Dry Land. // Scholastic SuperScience;Oct2008, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p8
The article discusses the harmful effects of droughts, which has resulted in more frequent wildfires in California.
- Assessing Warm Season Drought Episodes in the Central United States. Englehart, Phil J.; Douglas, Arthur V. // Journal of Climate;Jun2003, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p1831
Recurrent drought episodes are a signature feature of the climate of the central United States. Using a particular set of definitions, this study examines some of the basic statistical features of previous drought episodes. It shows that there are distinct intraseasonal preferences for the onset...
- A wildlife waste land. Hill, Heather // Africa Report;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p42
Reports that drought is killing off the wildlife in Gonarezhou National Park in Zimbabwe and, ironically, in order to save as many animals as possible, park wardens are killing off the weak and dying wild animals. Other wildlife are being captured and held for restocking when the park can again...
- Understanding the drought. Obasi, G.O.P. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep1985, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p43
Explores the causes of drought in Africa. Definitions of drought; Characteristics of Sahel drought; Meteorological causes of the drought in the Sahel; Hypotheses proposed for the persistence of the drought; Measures of alleviate effects of drought.
- The LONG DRY. Geiger, Beth // Current Science;9/18/2009, Vol. 95 Issue 2, p4
The article offers information on the cause, impact, implications and prevention of extended drought in Australia.
- African leader plays politics with drought. Tunbridge, Louise // Christian Science Monitor;2/25/97, Vol. 89 Issue 62, p6
Reports that opposition politicians in Kenya accused President Daniel arap Moi of taking advantage of the nation's drought by imposing the Preservation of National Security Act. What the act allows the government to do; How the act was used in the pass; How the government justified its actions;...
- Dry times in California. // Current Events;3/8/91, Vol. 90 Issue 21, p3
Reports on the effect of the drought in California. Crop loss details.
- California's droughts. Keith, R. // Horticulture;Jun/Jul91, Vol. 69 Issue 6, p26
Discusses California's ongoing drought and recommends ways home gardeners can conserve water. Coastal communities, such as Santa Barbara and San Louis Obispo; Water rationing; Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD); California'sagricultural sector and its use of water; Lawns;...
- The end of the drought. Leyhe, Ann; MacCaskey, Michael // Horticulture;Jun/Jul93, Vol. 71 Issue 6, p13
Presents two reports, one from Berkeley the other from Los Angeles, discussing the impact that California's drought had on the state. Rain, sleet, and even hail have replaced the endlessly sunny skies; Water allocation a hotly debated issue; Rapid growth of cities along the coast and the...
- Business climate improves for saving water // In Business;Sep/Oct1991, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p41
No abstract available.