The new world of Islam
Tags: ISLAMIC countries
- Where do the World's Muslims live? // Junior Scholastic;04/11/97, Vol. 99 Issue 16, p16
Presents questions about regions occupied by the Muslim population. Africa and Asia as the countries where largest number of Muslims live; Northernmost country with a large Muslim population; Percentage of population in the easternmost Muslim country that follows Islam.
- In Iran. Wawro, Geoffrey // American Scholar;Summer2002, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p97
Presents an article on a visit to Iran. Culture of the people; Strict observance of Islamic law; Status of security at the border.
- Central and South Asia in a new world order. Bank, Stephen // World & I;Nov95, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p318
Makes various observations about the emergence of new Muslim states in Central and South Asia. Reasons for the ascendancy of Islamism as a political ideology; Role of Central Asian states in international politics; Effect on ethnic differences.
- Divorce from the West. // Wilson Quarterly;Summer91, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p123
Reviews the article `The Islamic World and the Latin West, 1350-1500,' by Archibald R. Lewis published in `Speculum,' dated October 1990 on the split between the Islamic world and the West. Attitudes that the two world civilizations formed toward each other; History of the two civilizations'...
- Turkey pushes eat. Myddelton, Richard // Middle East;Oct96, Issue 260, p7
Reports that Turkey's Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan wants closer ties with eastern Islamic countries despite the country's 70 years of western securalism. Position on western bases; Creation of military zone inside Iraqi territory to stop Kurdish insurgency; Travels to Iraq and Iran.
- Banking on principles. Siddiqi, Moin A. // Middle East;May97, Issue 267, p26
Discusses fundamentals that guide the principles of the Islamic banking system and its instruments. Koran's prohibition of interest or usury and speculation; Maintaining of balance between the interests of investors, shareholders, users and society; Safeguarding of investor's interests;...
- Failed Democratization in the Arab World. Avineri, Shlomo // Dissent (00123846);Fall2002, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p21
Analyzes the democratization of Muslim countries. Hurdles to democratization; Signs of democratic movements; Relationship between Islam and democracy; Forms of government in Muslim nations.
- Still searching for long-term solutions. Bunn, Nicola // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;9/11/1998, Vol. 42 Issue 37, p10
Reports on improvements to the banking industry in Islam for 1998. Statistical information representing the worth of the industry; Circumstances surrounding the defrauding of Cuba Islamic Bank; Information on the financial performances of Islamic banks.
- Islam and Freedom. Wilson, James Q. // Commentary;Dec2004, Vol. 118 Issue 5, p23
Focuses on the implications of liberalism and democracy for Islamic political systems in Muslim and Muslim-dominated countries. Background on the establishment of democracy and liberalism in Turkey, Indonesia and Morocco; Factors that led to the emergence of liberal regimes in Muslim countries;...